what vehicle

tonker

I've always had Disco's cheap to buy, but not to run. I've had these because a few times a year I've needed to get a tweve foot trailer out of the orchards with 10/12 finished pigs in.

My mate has a disco now, so I want a vehicle to mainly go shooting at night with (offroad) and to be able to tow a 8' trailer for work, but not heavy loads,

1 ton at most.

I won't be buying till the existing disco dies, which hopefully won't be for a while yet. There are so many different 4x4 out there my brains frazzled.

I'm probably looking for the impossible, good off road and cheapish to run, and I'll look at something between 6/9K (not new obviously).

So any suggestions will be helpfull, or am I opening a can of worms?

Maybe but you are not a buyer and the OP is? For his budget and requirements I would suggest a Vitara, I have not owned one buy my Pigeon shooting buddy has had 4 and they are very good on fuel and more than capable off road. I have a 23 mpg Disco 2 auto great motor but very thirsty and in most off road situations where you don't want to trash fields the Vitara is just as capable.