Elderly SOS Alarm System advice

m3vert

I am looking to purchase a system for my Dad who sadly has Parkinsons. He is sometimes unstable on his feet and has regular falls. As he is finding it more difficult to get back up once he has fallen, and the fact that he is sometimes in the house alone, I am looking to try and find a reliable yet discrete alarm system.

I am not looking to alert a call centre but rather I want it to call a few mobile numbers as most of the family stay very close and can respond quickly if he needs a hand. Can any of you guys recommend something that you have first hand experience of using in your family?

The local council can install one but it does not contact the family but a MECS team (mobile emergency care service) who respond as quickly as they can, I know from experience that they can be very busy and take some time, so this option is out.

I hate the thought of the best man I know lying needing my help and being unaware of it, so need to get this ordered ASAP. Thanks in advance for your help!

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/www-elderlysos-co-uk-ELDERLY-SOS-Emergency-Alarm-Elderly/dp/B00BHZ71I6

Irrespective of which system you go for try and find one that has the call button worn on the wrist. Those with the fob that is worn around the neck are great as long as the person is wearing it when they fall.

What tends to happen is the majority of falls occur in the night when the person is going to the bathroom, often in the dark. A lot of patients used to take the chain off from around their neck because they didn't like sleeping with it on and either hang it on the bed head or put it on the bedside table. Both of which are useless if you are lying on the floor in the hallway with a broken hip.

That's a very good point, thanks. The one in the link above can have additional wireless call points added throughout the house. I was thinking about one in the upstairs bathroom at low level for the very reason you said. Dad also said he would prefer a wrist worn one anyway. Thanks EMT.

It would be worth having a word with your Father's Social Services Dept.

My Mother in Law had a unit provided by them, which cost £2.?? per week (initial cost was about £10).

It was worn on the wrist, or round the neck, linked to the telephone (wireless) and connected to a 24/7 Call Centre that had all her details.

Depending on the reason for the call they contact Emergency Services, Doctor, Family, or Friends,etc.

When she pressed the button a voice came from the telephone speaker and she could reply from wherever she was.

I know you don't want to have a Call Centre involved, but the 24/7 coverage and the immediate response of a trained person on the end of the phone gives the family (and the patient) a lot of peace of mind.

Surely the MECS is the safest bet - if you take, say 15 minutes, to get to your Dad and then realise that he needs urgent medical care are you suitably trained? - your delay may cost you dearly. My father in law had the system that calls the MECS and they called us as soon as the alarm was raised - I once had a Boss pass away in my arms ( heart attack at work) and the Ambulance crew said that 5 minutes earlier and they would have had a far greater chance of saving him. Time is a critical factor.

I think they are a very good idea, but whoever owns the companies monitoring them must be making a fortune. All they do is have a small call centre that provides nothing but a link to 999. The people may aswel have a mobile phone strapped to them and call 999 themselves and save the ridiculously high expense. It seems they are charging for a free service! But maybe I'm cynical as I deal with these call centres almost every day!

Thanks Cranfield, I wasn't aware that MECS would also call the family. The local social services offered one but there was no mention of us being contacted as well. I will discuss with them and see what they say.

I do know what to do in the event of something go wrong, sadly had to deal with that on too many occasions to mention. I am also all too aware of just how long our far stretched paramedics are in our area. My last involvement with them was a rather awkward 30min wait on a response, with a rather poorly gentleman. Thus I am happy to have one of us who are 2-3 mins max from him being called. However if I can get MECS to call an ambulance (if required) and us, then that is a result :-)

Thanks folks.

I'm sure you can programme other numbers into the one provided by the LA. Just need a software update probably. My dad had a similar system on which we did just that. The first one of us to respond stood down the other emergency contacts as appropriate. I beg to differ with the wrist band.. My Father last thing he did at night for 60 odd years was take off his wristwatch!!! And yes you guessed it !!!

Edited by Adge Cutler

It would be worth having a word with your Father's Social Services Dept.

My Mother in Law had a unit provided by them, which cost £2.?? per week (initial cost was about £10).

It was worn on the wrist, or round the neck, linked to the telephone (wireless) and connected to a 24/7 Call Centre that had all her details.

Depending on the reason for the call they contact Emergency Services, Doctor, Family, or Friends,etc.

When she pressed the button a voice came from the telephone speaker and she could reply from wherever she was.

I know you don't want to have a Call Centre involved, but the 24/7 coverage and the immediate response of a trained person on the end of the phone gives the family (and the patient) a lot of peace of mind.

When i did care work most used this system,it is very good,they respond straight away and assess and then call the relevant people,i have accidentally pressed them a few times and talked to the call centre,professional and polite.

My mum had this in the sheltered accommodation she was in. In general was very good with good response times. The only problem was the hit and miss people that were sent around at times. For example mum fell over and couldn't get up. However she was unhurt. The career they sent around would risk assess and send for a paramedic. Paramedic would risk assess and send mum to hospital who would immediately discharge her after a cup of tea. If I was around then they would call me and I would shortcut the process and help mum back into bed.

Edited by AVB

The Memsahib has one from Age Concern. If she uses it - it calls their call centre. She can possibly, depends where she is, talk to their operator via an intercom box. If not then they phone her - this is to check for accidental activation. If no reply then they call my mobile. If I don't answer they phone the lady next door. If she's out then they phone our friend who lives just up the road. If still no answer then they phone 999 and send an ambulance. We have a key box and they know the combination to pass to the ambulance crew. Fairly fool proof and you can ask for any system that you want.

Only problem is that the 'patient' has to remember to use it.

Age Concern emergency call system is being taken over by AXA in the near future.

Edited by Grandalf

Border Care Alarms (in the Scottish Borders) runs something very similar to the system described by Gandalf. We are on the list of contacts for two elderly neighbours, and the call centre operator has phoned us a couple of times and asked us to pop round and help out (we can be there in under a minute).

The last time it happened when an old chap (compos mentis, but not very mobile after suffering a stroke) had a fish supper delivered, put in under the grill to keep warm, left it too long, and returned to a kitchen full of smoke. He was perfectly well aware of what had happened, and knew the house was not in danger of burning down, but just needed a bit of help to sort things out.

The system seems to work very well. Obviously it relies on having an intelligent call centre operator who can assess the situation quickly and phone the appropriate person.