Cr-v or x-trail

activeviii

What even fully adjusted? The seats go back away's.

The guy is not going to be so simple that he cannot understand that car seats go back and forth to fit the size of the driver my old Jeep Cherokee with the seat fully back was just ok for me and I am 5-10 so if you was any taller you would not fit in comfortably.

My 2003 X-Trail diesel has plenty of room and is very good in the mud and on the grass only normal ground clearance so not good for proper off roading ok to go across most fields though.

You can get auto ones but not diesels in the older ones at least I love automatics after having my Jeep for so long I think the 2ltr petrol automatic is going to be good going by my diesel.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Im an average height in the tall community, i could drive the rav from the back seats. i wanted one at like the toyota but its built for the jap market where the average height is knee high to a grass hopper.

i have a cr-v on the drive at the moment but theres a few issues with it that im not happy with so the dealer is having it back. size wise i fit.

28mpg is the average combined i get from it.

is there any common niggles with the x-trail. i have found an auto a little distance away but before i go look i like to do my homework so i can rule out the bad from the worn.

hi p

i have had an xtrail diesel 2.2 all be it a manual for 8 years, i purchased it with 29000 miles and one owner with full service history. it has been the best vehicle i have had in my own personal opnion and fits all my needs for work and shooting.as above they have normal clearance so no major off roading but the manual lock 4x4 drive has got me accross wet stubbles, tracks and grass without any bother.i shoot out of my vehicle window quite a bit and plenty of room, the vehicle also towed my 24ft caravan for several years and has took me all over the country. i have never had anything major go and only the usual consumables. brake pads, tyres and a have had to replace front bearings and one cv joint. the car has now done 130000 and i have had 100, 000 miles trouble free in it. my only gripe is i get a lot of tyre noise on motorway but am used to it now comfortable and roomy, mine is the old more box shape so you get a lot more height than the new model.

I service it myself every 10,000 miles, oil, oil filter, air filter costs me £45 and takes 30 minutes to do, i can get underneath the front for the oil changes without ramps.

I looked at a few when i was buying, try and find one with service history as they can be prone to turbo failure if poorly serviced. i am no mechanic or expert just what i found out when buying. As said mine has been bombproof and touch wood i will not be changing for the foreseeable future as it just keeps going. I can only speak from personal experience as i do not know anyone else who has one, check out online forums.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

I'm 6ft and have no issues with the seat positioning, in fact there is a lot more room to play with hence my query as to why, that's all.

The guy is not going to be so simple that he cannot understand that car seats go back and forth to fit the size of the driver my old Jeep Cherokee with the seat fully back was just ok for me and I am 5-10 so if you was any taller you would not fit in comfortably.

My 2003 X-Trail diesel has plenty of room and is very good in the mud and on the grass only normal ground clearance so not good for proper off roading ok to go across most fields though.

You can get auto ones but not diesels in the older ones at least I love automatics after having my Jeep for so long I think the 2ltr petrol automatic is going to be good going by my diesel.

I'm 6ft and have no issues with the seat positioning, in fact there is a lot more room to play with hence my query as to why, that's all.

not a problem Penelope. I have a bit more height on me the that. I did try to get in but was to tight for me. I have the cr-v and the rav next to each other and the cr-v was hard to pull my leg up over and in but the rav I just couldn't get the left leg in.

hi p

i have had an xtrail diesel 2.2 all be it a manual for 8 years, i purchased it with 29000 miles and one owner with full service history. it has been the best vehicle i have had in my own personal opnion and fits all my needs for work and shooting.as above they have normal clearance so no major off roading but the manual lock 4x4 drive has got me accross wet stubbles, tracks and grass without any bother.i shoot out of my vehicle window quite a bit and plenty of room, the vehicle also towed my 24ft caravan for several years and has took me all over the country. i have never had anything major go and only the usual consumables. brake pads, tyres and a have had to replace front bearings and one cv joint. the car has now done 130000 and i have had 100, 000 miles trouble free in it. my only gripe is i get a lot of tyre noise on motorway but am used to it now comfortable and roomy, mine is the old more box shape so you get a lot more height than the new model.

I service it myself every 10,000 miles, oil, oil filter, air filter costs me £45 and takes 30 minutes to do, i can get underneath the front for the oil changes without ramps.

I looked at a few when i was buying, try and find one with service history as they can be prone to turbo failure if poorly serviced. i am no mechanic or expert just what i found out when buying. As said mine has been bombproof and touch wood i will not be changing for the foreseeable future as it just keeps going. I can only speak from personal experience as i do not know anyone else who has one, check out online forums.

atb

7diaw

Thanks for that 7. I think they are much the much so pay the money and take a chance. I'm just going to go look at the x-trail for size.

I'm almost exactly 6ft and found I had to raise the CR-X driver seat and shift it back to drive it comfortably with my hair just reaching the roof. Front door length is apparently 5" shorter than X-trail and way too short to adjust the front of a scope if shooting forwards off the door mirror bracket. Exhaust very stupidly swaps sides below the prop shaft of all things which compromises the ride clearance.

Not all bad though because as it was factory under-sealed there is zero rust beneath its 15 years old body - unlike the masses of rust I have found under 12 and 15 years old X-Trails I have looked at.

One thing that really annoys me with lots of Jap cars is rust in this day and age why are cars still having this rust problem my American made Jeep cherokee made in 2000 had little or no rust my 2003 X-Trail has some small rust spots on the wheel two wheel arches and one small bit in the under one of the back doors.

what it comes down to is the car makers do not care about second hand car buyers if you have got 15 or 20 grand to buy a new one that is all that they care about.

my 54 plate 2.2 dci xtrail has been good - though as is common my turbo failed around the 100k mark (and was expensive to have done £700+).

I also have a slightly rusty rear arch (front are plastic)

apart from that it's fast, economical, spacious and performs pretty well offroad (though clearance isn't amazing) - i'm at 120k now and going strong

my 54 plate 2.2 dci xtrail has been good - though as is common my turbo failed around the 100k mark (and was expensive to have done £700+).

I also have a slightly rusty rear arch (front are plastic)

apart from that it's fast, economical, spacious and performs pretty well offroad (though clearance isn't amazing) - i'm at 120k now and going strong

We had a 54 plate and it did the same. Luckily it was under warranty :innocent:

im going to try and get a late 2007 or newer (mk3) x-trail if i can. it will be auto so petrol. had i look at a couple today of all 3 styles and the mk3 was the better for me. only thing that put me off the km2 was the clocks in the middle of the dash. very strange place for them lol

I have an X trail with the clocks in the middle. Surprising how quick you get used to it and I actually like it, seems to make it feel more spacious.

I like the car, fast, economical etc etc as has been said. Mine has been just awful as far as breaking down goes. Doesn't actually let me down but had to have repairs one after another.

I would still have another but low miles and full service history is a must (and warranty)

im going to try and get a late 2007 or newer (mk3) x-trail if i can. it will be auto so petrol. had i look at a couple today of all 3 styles and the mk3 was the better for me. only thing that put me off the km2 was the clocks in the middle of the dash. very strange place for them lol

Having the clocks in the middle is how a lot of older cars had them and in many ways it is much better than having them in front of you and having to look through the steering wheel is not the best idea that is the one thing that I will miss when or if I change it I may be wrong but I do not think the Mk3 are as good off-road as the ones before.

I've been driving my 2004 plate diesel x-trail for 10 years now and love it. Plenty of leg room (I'm 6' 2") and plenty of room for the dog and shooting gear in the boot. I had a pretty hefty bill 2 years ago when the fuel pump died but, aside from that, trouble free. Still running on the original turbo which, judging by earlier comments, could be a concern. I like the fact you can switch from 2 wheel drive to auto/4wd with a switch on the dash.

No need to be put off by the position of the clocks - there is a handy storage compartment right behind the steering wheel instead.

When the time comes I would buy another (newer) model.

All I can say is that I have had my x trail for several years and have been all over the place even right down to the bottom of France the other year and apart from the usual has been fantastic.

It's a 55 plate diesel and yes is a bit taty and a bit of rust on the rear arches but has been used and abused and has never broken down.

Would highly recommend if it's the type of vehicle you are looking for.

I like the fact that if you never touch that button it does it all on it's own anyway.

According to the manual it's only function is to test it.

Not really true,

You can lock it into 2 wheel drive which does as it says,

Automatic is the one that chooses when it wants 2 or 4 wheel drive, (you can leave it permanently in automatic if you want)

Or lock it into permanent 4 wheel drive if you need it

:shaun:

Not really true,

You can lock it into 2 wheel drive which does as it says,

Automatic is the one that chooses when it wants 2 or 4 wheel drive, (you can leave it permanently in automatic if you want)

Or lock it into permanent 4 wheel drive if you need it

:shaun:

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/download/file.php?id=1734

Hope that link works, it says exactly what the buttons do. It also says that if you are in 2WD and experience "massive slip" it will automatically put it in 4WD without you doing anything.

Whatever it does, the car has very good offroad capabilities for what it is. A lot better than I expected.

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/download/file.php?id=1734

Hope that link works, it says exactly what the buttons do. It also says that if you are in 2WD and experience "massive slip" it will automatically put it in 4WD without you doing anything.

Whatever it does, the car has very good offroad capabilities for what it is. A lot better than I expected.

I have found this leaving it in two wheel drive or auto makes little difference I have never been stuck in mud while in so called two wheel drive having said that I do think that the four wheel drive lock works as it says on the box.

I have found this leaving it in two wheel drive or auto makes little difference I have never been stuck in mud while in so called two wheel drive having said that I do think that the four wheel drive lock works as it says on the box.

Yes, I think locking it in 4WD does make a difference. Seems to anyway.