They were a bit rubbish

Jaymo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm old enough to remember when our new patrol car arrived Ford Zephyr Six and had this fancy new alarm system to wake the neighbours ... instead of tingle tingle tingle..it went WHAHH!! WHOOO!!WHAHH!! WHOOO!! :yahoo: ...... problem was, vibration would pull the wires partially off one and you would get WHAAHH!! WHAAHH!! with what could only be described as a 'wet one' in between. :/ Back then of course we had loud speakers on the front. During boring periods of duty you would find a suitable cyclist and creep quietly up behind and click the hand piece with a finger nail. They would look down at front and back wheel, eventually often get off and spin the wheels. Cruel you might say but heh!! whilst doing that we weren't booking some poor unsuspecting motorist :yes:

Back in the day you could pop up the bonnet on your car and put water in the rad put oil in the big cap on top of the engine top up the brake oil and the screen washer container all in five minutes.

with modern cars you pop up the bonnet and are faced with a mass of plastic you almost need to get the hand book out to find where you have to top up the windscreen washer bottle let alone think about putting some oil in to it.

Or am I just getting to old.

Back in the day you could pop up the bonnet on your car and put water in the rad put oil in the big cap on top of the engine top up the brake oil and the screen washer container all in five minutes.

with modern cars you pop up the bonnet and are faced with a mass of plastic you almost need to get the hand book out to find where you have to top up the windscreen washer bottle let alone think about putting some oil in to it.

Only if you can work out how to.

But, to be fair, how often do you need to top up a modern car with anything other than screen wash and air

But, to be fair, how often do you need to top up a modern car with anything other than screen wash and air

My wife's cars can go years without having to refill the screen wash. I'm sure she doesn't know about this feature. My 2003 Blingo van however needs a little top up of oil mid way between the 10K service intervals and a drop of power steering fluid every month or so. The thing I really begrudge though is having to top up the fuel tank every week :unhappy:

Oh and cloth seats - on a cold night passion died very quickly on those horrible plastic ones. My dads Hilman Hunter GLS was the first I drove with cloth - new girlfriend though I was made of money.

Nothing wrong with wipe clean vinyl especially when it is a shared family car ;)