Feinwerkbau 300 side lever springer, any good ?

magpieman01

hello all =) ive been digging through the back catalog of precision springer's and come across the Feinwerkbau 300, just wondered if anyone on here has owned or fired one etc ? are they full powered ? i was liking the idea of using a precision springer off a bipod due to the inbuilt recoil system, i do feel tempted if certain boxes are ticked, really interested to see what peeps think on this one =)

post-78744-0-58711100-1479502895_thumb.jpg

As far as I know all FWB stuff was top notch and very expensive. More like competition target rifle stuff. I remember that donks ago (about 1980) they had an advert where a bloke had shot a load of rabbits by the total accuracy of the rifle which was a 177.

Edited by fortune

They are about 6 or 7ft.lb - designed to put holes in paper at 10m, not imo suitable for live targets.

I remember seeing one set up for running boar targets, with a scope, must be 35 years ago now!

That would tie up with my recolection of about 1980 ish. Dont know about the power levels but like I said they were advertising them as being a killer due to the accuracy of the rifle. I think that the advert was in airgun world or something and maybe the shooting times.

That would tie up with my recolection of about 1980 ish. Dont know about the power levels but like I said they were advertising them as being a killer due to the accuracy of the rifle. I think that the advert was in airgun world or something and maybe the shooting times.

I have a feeling it was Airgun World - it's the sort of stupid thing they used to come up with...

Nope - you're thinking of the Original 66 and 75 (break-barrel and side-lever respectively).

The Feinwerkbau system is entirely different: the whole barrel and action assembly slides on rails, and moves back about 3/8" when you shoot - looks weird, but not really noticeable from the shooter's point of view. Much more complex than the opposing piston system of the Original, but all the top shots seemed to use them when I was competing (late 70s/early 80s). I used a 66 and loved it - when you pulled the trigger, you could hear the mechanism working, but you couldn't feel a thing. Absolutely recoil/jump free.

They all had just enough power to give a reasonably flat trajectory at 10m, and that was it - any more would be unnecessary.

They all had just enough power to give a reasonably flat trajectory at 10m, and that was it - any more would be unnecessary.

So am I thinking of a different model of FWB because i'm 100% sure that there was an advert where a bloke had a load >> probably 20 rabbits on a pole that he had shot with the new miraculously accurate rifle in 177. At that time most people used a 22 for rabbits but there was always this 177 v 22 debate. Or could they have the power upt by a more powerful spring to give the gun enough power to take rabbits

Edited by fortune

thanx a lot guys for the info, i did suspect low power levels =( i guess i was hoping their might of been a model / version on the right side of 11 ftp, such a shame, i really like the raw accurate form and function of those old target rifles, just begging for a bipod, silencer and a sidewinder on top lol.

i guess if im really honest i'd like to see a tx mk 4, a long barrel version in an ultimate sporter style stock.........drifts off into a dream............ =)

Edited by magpieman01

FWB rifles are incredible, starting shooting on a 601 and moved to a PCP 700.

However, they are target rifles - designed for 10m shooting and for use with .177 wad cutters.

If they have the power to drop the bunny, you'll have no problem hitting it. Just make sure it has enough 'kick' for what you need.