best shot placement on a fox with a .22 rimmy

flash

mate was wandering where the best shot placement on a fox would be using .22 rimmy.

question is wether to go for a heart shot, or a head shot. hes worried about missing the brain and maybe just taking its jaw off. with me i would be worried about missing the heart and just wounding the organs,

any help please.

cheers

flash

Brain shot everytime for .22lr for me. Either straight between the eyes or and this would be my choice if he's side profile imagine a line drawn between eye and bottom of the ear and put it in the middle of that line. As always if the shooter isn't confident of the shot don't take it, not confident in his abilities spend a lot more time punching paper. foxes brain is quite a small target. When hit there they just flop, no nonsense it's lights out. Keep the range sensible, don't shoot at somehting that's what I call an edgey shot.

Edited to add, I don't doubt the penetration power of a .22lr round for heart/lung shots. However, after plucking some Eley subs out of timbers I had set up behind my target board (this wasn't my backstop, a hillock was) I found the expansion to be dismal.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173754

have a look at this link, relates to coyotes but the principles are the same

I disagree, as the animal and the firearms are different, 17HMR and 22 mag. The first is a flat fast projectile, the other less so but a heavier projectile.

Under 50yds, if and only if you can hit a 2" target 90% of the time, then I would THINK about the shot at the head. The body is a No-No IMHO as the 22lr is a bouncey projectile at the best of times and if it hits a rib then the likelyhood is the bullet will be deflected to some degree and that may result in wounding.

depends on how the fox is acting ,or standing for me.ive shot them in the head and the heart ,and theyve all dropped on the spot out to about 60 yds.ive shot some with .222 in chest ,hole you can put ya head in,and they ve ran on a few yards.i think its a case of confidence with ya shooting,but you will allways get the odd one that acts like its alive for a few minuites after,mostly nerves i think. :stupid:

I disagree, as the animal and the firearms are different, 17HMR and 22 mag. The first is a flat fast projectile, the other less so but a heavier projectile.

Under 50yds, if and only if you can hit a 2" target 90% of the time, then I would THINK about the shot at the head. The body is a No-No IMHO as the 22lr is a bouncey projectile at the best of times and if it hits a rib then the likelyhood is the bullet will be deflected to some degree and that may result in wounding.

Unless you use a .22 semi auto, then you could weigh him down with lead :):) (joking)

:blush: D2D

Unless you use a .22 semi auto, then you could weigh him down with lead :):) (joking)

:blush: D2D

In which case would he not be better off, getting some sea fishing weights making a bola with them?

do foxes count as vermin, i ask because i saw four young ones in the woods the other day, they let me get to within 30yds of them but my cert only says vermin and ground game, could i have taken the shot? i was worried that it might have been illegal to do so?

thanks

tom