Winter vomiting bug

Jaymo

That's interesting because I heard that the more alkaline your body is the less the germs like it.

I read that drinking diluted cider vinegar which turns to an alkaline once inside you can help (don't know if it's true) stopping you get it.

Bacteria need a fairly narrow pH to thrive normally, I'm not sure of the mechanism of how acetic acid (vinegar) would become more base once consumed.

Norovirus will be untouched at a pH of 5-10, stomach acid being 1.5-3 ish, although unproven I reckon the more acidic the better.

Just reading, a pH of over 9 is needed to kill this critter!

Also reading I don't think it would make much difference if you were taking antacids or not, it's a hardy nasty.

Hand washing it is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bacteria need a fairly narrow pH to thrive normally, I'm not sure of the mechanism of how acetic acid (vinegar) would become more base once consumed.

Norovirus will be untouched at a pH of 5-10, stomach acid being 1.5-3 ish, although unproven I reckon the more acidic the better.

Just reading, a pH of over 9 is needed to kill this critter!

Also reading I don't think it would make much difference if you were taking antacids or not, it's a hardy nasty.

Hand washing it is.

9!!!! That's basically bleach haha. Thanks for the interesting but depressing info.

Hi, Can norovirus be airbourne.

Tim

In the strictest sense, no. An airborne pathogen is a germ that effects the respiratory system.

It's generally passed on from hand to mouth through contact with vomit or faeces, it's debatable about vomit though.

Never had it nor members of my family. Never had flue and only get a cold every 4-5 years - what is wrong with you lot.

That's really good but if and when you might encounter this beasty it will take you to the ground because your body will not have any resistance to it. I wouldn't say that as a family we are not a Sicky bunch but I've only ever had this once and that was enough.

When the Europeans went to America the Indians were decimated by simple code and flu so much so that in some areas everybody died and the dead lay where they fell because there was no one left to bury them.

I watched an episode of Mythbusters a while back that had experimented the myth that flushing the toilet sprayed a very fine mist of the brown stuff around the bathroom. they found that it took roughly six hours to travel all the way round the bathroom to a poor unsuspecting toothbrush.

just a thought :blush:

I watched an episode of Mythbusters a while back that had experimented the myth that flushing the toilet sprayed a very fine mist of the brown stuff around the bathroom. they found that it took roughly six hours to travel all the way round the bathroom to a poor unsuspecting toothbrush.

That's why we have loo covers and sinks to wash our hands.

In the strictest sense, no. An airborne pathogen is a germ that effects the respiratory system.

It's generally passed on from hand to mouth through contact with vomit or faeces, it's debatable about vomit though.

I read in the paper that if your near to someone vomiting, you can get it through the fumes. Yuk.

Yep always put the lid down before flushing.