TV box - HD? Kodi? Netflix?

sandspider

Hi all

I know there's a few threads on this already but I'm a bit confused. I'm looking for one internet TV box that will do everything, (ideally fairly legally) - download / store to HD, series record, get lots of channels and films etc. We live in a Welsh valley, so the TV signal isn't great, but the internet is reasonably fast - about 8MB down stream!! (Hence it would be useful to be able to store to HD rather than having to live stream everything).

Considering Netflix, or some sort of HD box (e.g. Humax), or a Kodi box (though they don't seem to have hard drive options, and I'm not entirely sure of the legalities). Would be nice to have the option to browse the channels (like freeview) rather than having to specifically search for an exact program. And to choose a program without having to get up and prod the laptop. (We already have Chromecast).

What's the best and simplest way to do this? Could get Kodi and a HD box if the two will talk to each other?

Thanks.

If you haven't got good internet then I wouldn't bother, you'll be for ever waiting for films and programmes to "buffer" i.e. Load up enough to keep watching them. It's very frustrating, trust me.

That's using a box with kodi on

Edited by rimmie

Your best option would be to install kodi on a laptop and also install a torrent client (plug laptop into tv via hdmi) so you can download and store on hd as well as streaming, both these options are free so long as you have a spare laptop. As for legality that's for you to decide.

Edited by Luckyshot

Thanks all.

Hmm, feared that might be the case - though our internet is fast enough to stream iPlayer, most of the time... Would rather not have to plug laptop into TV, as that's what we do now and it's a bit fiddly.

Is Freesat any good? There is an old satellite dish in the garden, but I'm not interested in paying for Sky etc.

Thanks all.

Hmm, feared that might be the case - though our internet is fast enough to stream iPlayer, most of the time... Would rather not have to plug laptop into TV, as that's what we do now and it's a bit fiddly.

Is Freesat any good? There is an old satellite dish in the garden, but I'm not interested in paying for Sky etc.

Plugging laptop into tv is no different to using a box but, each to their own

Plugging laptop into tv is no different to using a box but, each to their own

Surely i can use an app on my phone to control the TV box and don't have to get off the sofa?!

Thanks Martyn, and for your useful PMs. Will have a look in detail later.

do a speed test first before shelling out wonga

I get about 8MB down, which is enough for iPlayer in HD and apparently netflix in HD too. Upload is painfully slow, but hopefully that won't matter too much.

Surely i can use an app on my phone to control the TV box and don't have to get off the sofa?!

I get about 8MB down, which is enough for iPlayer in HD and apparently netflix in HD too. Upload is painfully slow, but hopefully that won't matter too much.

None of the boxes Ive ever had have been controllable via my phone (not saying they all cant be) I use a wireless mouse and my laptop it plugged in via hdmi (1 wire) and is permanently left turned on so can do more things quicker than most boxes can.

Perhaps not a lot of help as this doesn't cover TV but I have a laptop connected to a projector via a surround sound system.

The laptop runs Windows and I have XBMC (Kodi) installed to manage all of the movies on the connected hard drive. The laptop is connected to the wifi which allows me to control XBMC from an app on my phone while sat on the sofa. Quite handy as anywhere in the house I can choose a movie and put it on, pause it, rewind etc via my phone.

Edited by Munzy

you have slow broadband speed sounds like your snookered behind the black ball on this one