Hive

AVB

Nothing to do with bees.

We had British Gas around the other day fixing a small leak. Whilst having a cup of tea the engineer said had we considered Hive (the remote temperature controller for heating and hot water). It retails at £250 fitted but he could do for £150. We signed up for it and was fitted yesterday. He also got it down to £99.

What a smart bit of kit. It replaces the thermostat and timer control units with a sexier thermostat and you can control it with your iPhone from wherever you are. So I can see that the wife has upped the temperature and then just lower it again. It also recognises when you are near the house and, if the heating isn't on, asks if you wish to put it on. Similarly if you leave and the heating is on asks if you wish to turn it off.

Seems to be the way forward.

I looked at hive but it can only do a couple of zones (3 max) surprised that's enough for the AVB castle, it sort of is the future considering most central systems are still based on 1950' tech and 1970's lifestyles.

The alternative is nest or a full blown system like Honeywell hometronic (that's what's needed in larger homes to be effective) and probably mine considering the stupid system installed that seems to just burn gas 24/7 and never get warm downstairs and roasts up stairs