reloading advise please

Hi guys,

Im relatively new to reloading shotgun shells and everything is fine apart from the quality of my finished crimps they are just not as tidy as the factory ones,doesn't matter whether I do a eight or a six star they look untidy and don't fit in the gun nicely the factory loads just drop in the chambers whilst the home loads have to be pushed slightly,

is there a good crimp finishing tool out there that I can use to tidy them up and give them a taper which isn't really expensive,

I don't have a pillar drill so didn't really want to buy a geap finishing tool as I believe you need one to use this design of tool,

Any advise would be helpful or do anyone have one for sale, its for 12 gauge shells,

regards alf..

When you say that the finish is rough, what does this look like. Pictures. What machine are you using? It could be that the contents are too long in the stack to it in the tube or that you need an adjustment to the crimp setting. If everything is right then the finish will be good and you won't need to spin them. Here is a link to some 28s that I did with my Sizemaster. Still not completely right but they do work well. c405ebf5.jpg

Edited by fortune

thanks for the advise guys but its a lee loadall 2 so cant make any adjustments

Yes you can it wants a spacer to deepen the crimp punch. I have known people glue a 1 cent euro coin in the crimp finisher, place one on top of a crimped cartridge and have a go before glueing it in . Test it in a factory cartridge first ( to make sure it fits).

Edited by deershooter

Yes you can it wants a spacer to deepen the crimp punch. I have known people glue a 1 cent euro coin in the crimp finisher, place one on top of a crimped cartridge and have a go before glueing it in . Test it in a factory cartridge first ( to make sure it fits).

Or a coin/washer under the brass, experiment fella - or keep an eye open for a better setup secondhand.

The components must be able to fit in the case. If they don't and you put a washer ect on the top of the cartridge and crush the load down the case WILL bulge usually just above the brass base. If this has happened it could be the wrong wad or too much shot. Keep the faith and work on the load.

PS. If you are using different cases this can throw a spanner in the works. If you find a type of case that will take the load find another the same and accurately measure that case and compare it to others.

Edited by fortune

Thanks I am loading new primed 70mm chedite high brass cases with 1.85 grms of maxam psb2 b&p z18 wads 36 grms 0f #5 lead shot as recommended by clay&game they pattern nice and don't leave dirty barrels actually they are cleaner than the victory whites, just wanted to tidy up the crimps as said above they where needing I light push to chamber ok now but leaving a slight crease on one side just above the brass maybe worth trying putting 35 grms of shot instead and try that, what you think !!

Thanks I am loading new primed 70mm chedite high brass cases with 1.85 grms of maxam psb2 b&p z18 wads 36 grms 0f #5 lead shot as recommended by clay&game they pattern nice and don't leave dirty barrels actually they are cleaner than the victory whites, just wanted to tidy up the crimps as said above they where needing I light push to chamber ok now but leaving a slight crease on one side just above the brass maybe worth trying putting 35 grms of shot instead and try that, what you think !!

Hi hankook1, I want to reload my own cartridges. Can you give me the heads up on costs for primed cartridges, wads, powder? Is there a huge hazmat charge for transporting materials? Thanks.

Hi daviejones34, your best option is to call clay& game or visit there web site all the ingredients and options are on there and priced

they also have all the data sheets for the various loads,

its worth doing if you use a lot of cartridges especially if you reload you old cases

my last order was delivered by clay& game themselves as they were experiencing difficulties with there chosen courier service at the time

they also sell the reloading machines and are very helpful with advice..

hope this help regards alf

Hi daviejones34, your best option is to call clay& game or visit there web site all the ingredients and options are on there and priced

they also have all the data sheets for the various loads,

its worth doing if you use a lot of cartridges especially if you reload you old cases

my last order was delivered by clay& game themselves as they were experiencing difficulties with there chosen courier service at the time

they also sell the reloading machines and are very helpful with advice..

hope this help regards alf

Thanks Alf, much appreciated, I will give them a ring in the morning. Cheers Davie