Repeat prescription tablets

Bigbob

i blew my knee while getting physo i got the pain killers Co-Codamol 30mg/500mg im taking 8 a day i ask for enough to see me over xmas and a doctor said 100 is plenty next appointment a different doctor raised the amount to 400 , so i phoned in for a repeat prescription to be told you cant get painkillers on a repeat prescription , So a month later the mrs goes for my prescriptions and gets a big carrier bag along with my 3 items theres a fourth 400 Solpadol 30mg/500mg capsules

i blew my knee while getting physo i got the pain killers Co-Codamol 30mg/500mg im taking 8 a day i ask for enough to see me over xmas and a doctor said 100 is plenty next appointment a different doctor raised the amount to 400 , so i phoned in for a repeat prescription to be told you cant get painkillers on a repeat prescription , So a month later the mrs goes for my prescriptions and gets a big carrier bag along with my 3 items theres a fourth 400 Solpadol 30mg/500mg capsules

Codeine is dodgy!

I don't get what you're saying in you post though, did you need codeine for so long?

Edited by kyska

One of my pet hates working over here is the huge amounts of branded prescribing. It must cost a fortune but also leads to occasional easily preventable errors.

Two cases i have seen in the last six months come to mind, one where a drug to reduce blood clotting was prescribed under a brand name not recognised by the clerking doctor or understood to be a 'blood thinner' by the patient, que lots of unexpected bleeding in theatre. The other was an allergy to another brand name nobody in the unit it had heard of, the patient couldnt begin to spell, and had no idea what it was. We found out it was codeine post op after writing her up for a load of it to unpleasant effects, stringing out her stay by a few days.

Both of the above in the old days would have been avoided by preassessment clinics and patients arriving with time to work these things out before trotting off to theatre. Now the process is so rushed it often feels done on a wing and a prayer.

I get 2 types of pain killers on repeat prescription, never had a problem

:shaun:

One of my pet hates working over here is the huge amounts of branded prescribing. It must cost a fortune but also leads to occasional easily preventable errors.

Two cases i have seen in the last six months come to mind, one where a drug to reduce blood clotting was prescribed under a brand name not recognised by the clerking doctor or understood to be a 'blood thinner' by the patient, que lots of unexpected bleeding in theatre. The other was an allergy to another brand name nobody in the unit it had heard of, the patient couldnt begin to spell, and had no idea what it was. We found out it was codeine post op after writing her up for a load of it to unpleasant effects, stringing out her stay by a few days.

Both of the above in the old days would have been avoided by preassessment clinics and patients arriving with time to work these things out before trotting off to theatre. Now the process is so rushed it often feels done on a wing and a prayer.

A drug a doctor didn't know what it was as and went ahead anyway?

Really?

First time i ran out of painkillers i just phoned in a repeat prescription and i was surprised theres no pain killers there they where what i really wanted , only to be told we dont do pain killers on repeat prescriptions then the next time i want my blood pressure tablets and theres 400 painkillers in there i didnt ask for as i still have 150ish left

suppose if been on them 6 months took a flier and landed on my left knee i kept working on till i couldnt went to the doctor got painkillers still worked on got physo and he said use a crutch for 6 weeks to take the weight off your knee so the doctor gives me a line saying i had to use a crutch for 8 weeks , Work said no to the crutches as i would look unprofessional so doctor says thats you signed off if they wont let you work with crutches .

The physo says make a appointment for two weeks then you phone Oh Toms next free space is 6 weeks :lol::lol::lol:

When I get a new proscription for something I tend to look it up on the internet and see what the drug does and what it is used for.

I have some tablets at times for night pains in my legs the tablets are very low dose drug that is used for depression but they do also do what I need of them.

Lots of drugs have multi modal functions, side effects if you wish. Gabapentin a anti-epileptic is good to help relieve 'nerve' pain (I know all pain is nerve pain, I mean nerve damage pain) for example.

I think what you do is brilliant, it empowers you as the patient!

The world is awash with fake drugs and they do turn up in chemist's prescriptions although nobody is going to admit it openly. Its a massive industry and all those fake pills end up going down some unfortunate person's throat.

That's not necessarily the fault of the individual pharmacist. The fakes are very hard to spot, bordering on impossible. Even the big legit distribution companies get compromised because the problem is so big and the supply chain is actually quite porous.

Edited by Vince Green

Whilst the active ingredient in ventolin is the same as in the generic versions anybody who uses it can tell you the propellant is different just by the taste, for me ventolin works well but the generic version isn't as effective. With regards to expensive brand names vs cheaper generic versions such as clarityn and neurofen I understand that all and Any drugs in the UK must have by law an identifying unique number on the packaging which refers to the active component, you can compare this number on the brand name and the generic versions and if it matches it's exactly the same drug inside the packaging. People are still happy or stupid enough (take your pick) to pay a fiver for a box of neurofen when the sainsbury own brand of ibuprofen is about 50p for the same quantity of exactly the same drug. Neurofen extra is even more expensive but if you read the packet it's just plain old ibuprofen with added caffeine, I believe the manufacturers were recently prosecuted and fined heavily for selling exactly the same drug at varying prices in different packaging for different uses.

Whilst the active ingredient in ventolin is the same as in the generic versions anybody who uses it can tell you the propellant is different just by the taste, for me ventolin works well but the generic version isn't as effective. With regards to expensive brand names vs cheaper generic versions such as clarityn and neurofen I understand that all and Any drugs in the UK must have by law an identifying unique number on the packaging which refers to the active component, you can compare this number on the brand name and the generic versions and if it matches it's exactly the same drug inside the packaging. People are still happy or stupid enough (take your pick) to pay a fiver for a box of neurofen when the sainsbury own brand of ibuprofen is about 50p for the same quantity of exactly the same drug. Neurofen extra is even more expensive but if you read the packet it's just plain old ibuprofen with added caffeine, I believe the manufacturers were recently prosecuted and fined heavily for selling exactly the same drug at varying prices in different packaging for different uses.

Yes here is a link to the information

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/16/nurofen-makers-fine-for-misleading-consumers-increased-from-17m-to-6m

It is misleading and is just another clever marketing technique used by some big pharma companies.

The law has changed in the last 24 months on which practice can be employed by drug company representatives when marketing to healthcare prescribers and health care bodies. They cannot gain influence, use nepotism with freebies to sweeten the pot. Any free pens or torches, nik, naks with the drug branded on them can taken by client at their own discretion, however they cannot be offered til after consultation/conference has finished.

atb

7diaw