Inertia block reset

clayman

With the improved ballistics of modern cartridges there has been a trend towards lighter and lighter loads, and also to the use of multi-based powders that give lower recoil characteristics.

Consequently, second barrel failure when light loads are used on guns with inertia blocks has become more prevalent.

I am of the view that owners of inertia block fitted guns should all be aware of the symptoms of a failed discharge from a light load because the recoil did not set the second barrel, and there should be a mainstream procedure recommended for taking the second shot. In my opinion a knowledgeable person undertaking a controlled reset procedure is infinitely safer than an uninformed person taking a non risk assessed correction that may be inappropriate to the cause.

What are others views on the acceptable procedures for mitigating an inertia block reset failure?

JPY

Actually on a serious note ,I have come across this on numerous occasions . The problem is twofold ,

Firstly it seems that the powers that be in controlling clay shooting have deemed that lower shot loads are used but with out thought that the guns most used may not be happy to handel those loads .

Secondly the trend for 3" chambers and magnum proof would need a heavier inertia spring than a gun chambered for lighter loads .

The answer is that you need a gun setup to shoot the loads the discipline requires ,which may in turn mean having several guns .

I don't understand why this would be a problem or what sort of mainstream procedure would cover all eventualites. Even though it's very much the way of things these days, I'm not personally a fan of taking responsibility away from the individual, not just with shotguns but in any aspect of life and since no one shoots game with light loads this is really a clay shooting discussion. Straw balers are pretty relaxed but as far as registered clay shooting is concerned there are rules covering gun malfunctions with no official body that I know of mandating less than 24gm and any gun that doesn't reset with 24gm must surely be considered faulty. I've seen some Berettas fail to reset using 21gm Comp-X but the gun can be fitted with a lighter inertia spring to work reliably with light loads.

My opinion is that the responsibility lies with the gun owner. If they're getting fail to reset issues with any load they should get their gun(s) repaired or adjusted accordingly.

Edited by Westward

A new gun build specifically for clay shooting should be set up to operate with the specified cartridge . However this will not be the case with all guns as most are made no matter what stock and rib combination ,as a standard "all round Gun " . As said if you want a gun to shoot a specific discipline then buy one for that , not a 3" magnum . You can not have the same gun set for clays and wildfowl for example .

It is up to the user to make sure their gun will operate with the desired cartridge and to work out their own procedure in the event of misfire or failure to change over . Perhaps clubs should offer guidelines as to their prefered method .