Would you pay to see your GP ?

Cranfield

(Now this comment is in the right place please forgive me).

I dont buy into the whole "those that don't turn up to appointments" thing. Truth is - if you dont self check in or check in via the receptionist your booked time slot just gets erased and the doctor isnt expecting you. To anyone whos made that comment - tell me the last time you went to the doctors and was called in early because someone had failed to show for thier appointment?

Lol, 30 to 60 minutes is our normal GP waiting time. Might be a bit quicker if a few more people miss their appointments. :lol:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ok saying we pay for the dentist but that's not by choice, its about £17 now think for a check up, your in and out in maybe 2 mins.

I don't think paying to see your gp is right but I think they should have an evening and weekend surgery for workers only, if your on benefits or an oap you should be able to make it during the day.

I can say I've never had to wait more than a day or so for an appointment if I've needed one but I work shifts ☺

I read the start of this thread to the wife and straight away she said you should pay a £5 when you make an appointment which gets taken if you don't show up.

I'd pay. My doctor has been great, knows I work and live alone so ensures my appointment is at 8.30 am at the latest. Calls me with results of tests rather than get me back in.

He makes allowances for my deep mistrust of people, my reluctance to talk and has got me from utter despair to being pain free for the first time in months.

Next time you see your GP, ask what % of appointments were DNA (Did Not Attend). A miniscule charge would stop this. Remember this: what is free has no value

The NHS does not collect data on "Did Not Attend" appointments, or indeed the total number of GP appointments, but sample surveys suggest that it could amount to 3% of the estimated 380+ million appointments in GP surgeries.

Taking into account genuine reasons for missed appointments, the figures suggest that the number of irresponsible DNA's is so miniscule it does not feature in a discussion on GP charges and certainly has no impact on the services over stretched GP's offer.

The NHS does not collect data on "Did Not Attend" appointments, or indeed the total number of GP appointments, but sample surveys suggest that it could amount to 3% of the estimated 380+ million appointments in GP surgeries.

Taking into account genuine reasons for missed appointments, the figures suggest that the number of irresponsible DNA's is so miniscule it does not feature in a discussion on GP charges and certainly has no impact on the services over stretched GP's offer.

They do collect data on DNA's for hospital referrals though. 2008-2016 this has averaged at around 9%. Would GP DNA's be significantly different?