Pigeon numbers

pin

Less about, or just weather conditions?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are there really less pigeon about?

• Yes, I've never seen it so bad
    • No, I see them all over
    • No, its just they have so much choice they won't flock up because they don't need to

180 in five trips for me,loads of birds around but sometimes they just pass us as if were not there.

this must be because they have found a better feeding ground somewhere,but the numbers still look good and we have all the young birds to come yet.

Pigeon feeding patterns have changed alot in the last 20yrs. I think pigeons numbers were in decline , and the introduction of OSR has given them food in winter , and spread the population ,making huge bags few and far between. Pigeons are not as gullible to pastic decoys as their ancestors, mild winters , all year breeding, all work in their favour. I think there are more pigeons now than 20yrs ago , but less than say 40yrs ago.

Pigeons = pest thats why people shoot them to control the numbers if your seeing a decline in numbers then your doing your job right.

If it gets to the stange the numbers are getting low then it will turn into conservation instead of rest control and people will simple have to start rearing and releasing if they want to continue to shoot them.

I think we get these threads every year at certain times when (some) people on here can't find birds and what happens...just as the 'no birds' debate hots up everyones reporting bigger bags! :good: All nature is cyclic.

I quite agree. There are certainly plenty of pigeons around in my area.Took my fifth hundred+ bag of the year so far today. Not sure if i've seen this many birds in previous years, so in my opinion i would say they are on the increase. I'm sure in a month or two, people will start posting that birds are about in big numbers and bag numbers increasing.