Old lister engined dumpers, manuals or websites

scotslad

Alright

Was just wondering if anyone on here knows a bit about old vingtage type engines etc and the best place to find information, manuals or spares for them?

Got an ancient lister engined mini dumper that u have to hand crank, starts like a dream and quite a handy wee thing to have.

For some reason now the clutch doesn't seem to be working, it coud be the pedal needs adjusting i've still to find some time to really investigate the problem but thought i'd try and find out a bit about it first before i start taking it to bits

if you are rebuilding the engine fully......best to do your clearance twixt piston crown and head....get a full set of shims and use plasi gauge...or some flux cored soft solder.......

may seem a bit of a balls doing that...but it will get your pressures right... :good::good:

At the moment its more the clutch/gearbox component info i would be after and possibly info on trouble shooting.

Failing that is it possible to buy a hayes type manual that would cover most older mechanical things as i imigne the princeiple will be the same and once u've done 1 most will be similar

In the future i possibly would like to rebuild the engine just out of courosity as never done that before, but it allegedly has been rebuild recently althou i'm not so sure..

I bought it of an salvage auction site so was unseen and the bloke i bought it ff has told my a lot of ****e with other things, luckily i didn't pay much for it

At moment the engine is the best bit about it, and that doesn't say much, she's fairly rough and rusty but it just a tool for me rather than a refurbishment, well at the moment anyway

I just had a bloke re engineer the starting crank at the back as the groove was all worn and handle occasionally slipped he reckons its had a smaller engine put in it as the crank has had a bodged extension put on itto take it clear of the rear.

If you can put up a few pictures of the dumper and the engine I'm sure that I can help you. If it is a lister single cylinder diesel engine it is highly likely to be a Lister LR. Square topped rocker box with an oil cap and Lister cast into it. It depends on the make of the dumper. The other common engine used on stuff like that was the Petter PH1. Dumper could be a Thwaites or Benford or Barford. Put some pictures up.

Cheers fortune althou i'm even worse with computers/camera's than i am with mechanics.

It is definately a single cylinder lister engine, i think it should of been a twin? or larger single cylinder on it and it does struggle going up a steep hill here even empty.

I'll have a proper look and try to get some numbers of it or dumper.

Cheers

Thwaites used the petter PH1 whereas the other makes generally used a Lister LR. You might find an ID. Ser. no. plate down the side of the engine. Really do need pictures of the machine and the engine. It is easy to do. If it really is of an age it could even be a Lister LD which preceded the LR. Got to have pictures.

Edited by fortune

Cheers taxi but i don't really do face ache.

Is there sort of forums similar to this that i can just browse throu to try and find wot i need?

Got some numbers of it but couldn't find a name of the dumper itself.

Engines a Lister SR air cooled 6 HP 180rpm

Gearbox had 40M101 U printed onto the cast, dunno if that means much?

Was sold by a T Grubb from Lancaster

Like i said its the gear box/clutch that is playing up at the moment rather than the engine

Cheers taxi but i don't really do face ache.

Is there sort of forums similar to this that i can just browse throu to try and find wot i need?

Got some numbers of it but couldn't find a name of the dumper itself.

Engines a Lister SR air cooled 6 HP 180rpm

Gearbox had 40M101 U printed onto the cast, dunno if that means much?

Was sold by a T Grubb from Lancaster

Like i said its the gear box/clutch that is playing up at the moment rather than the engine

Manual here for your gearbox maybe http://www.prm-newage.com/p23-gearboxes

Edited by Luckyshot

Started it 2 night's ago and couldn't put it in gear, the clutch wasn't disengauing so plate always spinning, not had a chance to try adjusting the clutch pedal yet on the shaft or thought might try attaching another lever to make sure it not just the pedal slipped on the shaft.

It's always jumped out of 1st gear as well, so i generally just use 2nd or reverse anytime i'm loaded, so i persume a cog is missing a tooth or something?

I'm never done much major mechanical stuff like strip rebuild engines and clutches etc and thought the old dumper would be a good simple way to learn

Amazing the knowledge on ths site at times :good:Cheers

Luckyshot did u know that or just google the gearbox numbers?