BBC wont be ignored!

Scully

What I want to know is how do highly paid individuals (not just those in show business) get into that position in the first place? They ain't no different to or more intelligent than a many, many other people!

That's the thing isn't it? Do any of us know?

I personally don't care about if my neighbour has a better car or someone doing what I believe is of less worth than me gets paid double I'm happy I have what I have. It was earned through hard work, taking risks and maybe good timing.

Maybe some of these hugely paid people have worked incredibly hard in their early years and have taken large risks and are now reaping the reward? Maybe they scraped by in their early years working towards what they have now?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing isn't it? Do any of us know?

I personally don't care about if my neighbour has a better car or someone doing what I believe is of less worth than me gets paid double I'm happy I have what I have. It was earned through hard work, taking risks and maybe good timing.

Maybe some of these hugely paid people have worked incredibly hard in their early years and have taken large risks and are now reaping the reward? Maybe they scraped by in their early years working towards what they have now?

I agree, I too have never "coveted my neighbors ***" either!

It's when someone ascends the greasy pole to secure power, influence, wealth and the trappings that go with wealth, not through merit, but through patronage, nepotism, corruption and dishonesty, that I find contemptible!

I agree, I too have never "coveted my neighbors ***" either!

It's when someone ascends the greasy pole to secure power, influence, wealth and the trappings that go with wealth, not through merit, but through patronage, nepotism, corruption and dishonesty, that I find contemptible!

I doubt there is a politician you like then - you have just described the whole set of them - and I would add disloyalty and backstabbing to the list.

Harsh, but it feels so true. There must be some worthy souls among them though . . .

Despite having been an employee all my working life, I cannot really get to like/understand/appreciate people who want power over others.

I have been lucky enough throughout over 40 years in industry to have worked for most of that time some for and with fine people - and in most cases it has been teamwork - and we all felt we contributed - and we all felt we were rewarded. We knew who the 'boss' was, but he lead by agreement rather than pushed 'by order'. Decisions were discussed and agreed and all played a part. They were good times, and (moderately) prosperous for all.

Regrettably - in recent years the old 'bosses' retired, the company I was then working for were taken over by a large overseas owned outfit - the whole work ethic and culture changed and to cut a long story short I have now taken early retirement - which probably speaks for itself.

Edited by JohnfromUK