Deilephila elpenor.

JDog

Just googled for the images of these moths, what beautiful colours. Absolutely fascinating mother nature and here is a link to images as i had to google them for identification. Cheers for sharing jd.

Would that moth be at risk of becoming a tasty morsel for any sharp eyed birds in the garden?

atb

7diaw

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1366&bih=638&tbm=isch&q=elephant+hawk+moth+uk&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4_-HftMLVAhVIJMAKHa9fBLwQhyYIKQ

Edited by 7daysinaweek

It was always thought that Hummingbird hawk moths were migrants from the continent. Now they have apparently discovered that at least some breed here. If you wish to attract them to your garden plant Centranthus ruber (valerian) which they love feeding on.

Edited by JDog

Whereabouts are you in the country, NB? Hoping to see hummingbird hawk moths round my way, but none yet...

I am in Mid Suffolk Sandspider. Saw my first about 20yrs ago. Had to look it up for ID. In my garden most years for the last 15. Bit of a wild natural garden randomly managed for critters. They seem mainly interested in honeysuckle rambling through ivy on fence and shed at mine. Even certain areas of it. That might explain the breeding over wintering theory. As that part of garden sunny and sheltered with warmth from sheds in winter.. If you sit still they don't seem bothered and addictive to watch. In your face close. Hornets will have a go at them. Lot of other unusual insects and plenty of butterflies about this year.

NB

Thanks NB.

I'm in South Wales, and have an area of paddock / meadow and a wild garden. Plenty of ivy! Lots of butterflies and other creatures this year, mainly in the wilder bits of the paddock, including species I've not seen in the UK before. (Plenty of horseflies too, alas!)

Need to top up the wild flowers, plant yet more trees etc. Would love to see HHMs in my own garden. Spent lots of time watching and trying to photo them in France. Good times.