AYA Magnum

Gerry78

Greetings forum just back on forum for start of Duck season I Shoot a New Browning A5 BUT Last week brought a AYA NO3 Magnum over from england to northern ireland just wanted to ask forum does anyone use AYA NO3 for ducks its choked 1\2 1\4 proofed 1200 bar in really good order just interested reading the post on steel shot

Cheers marsh monkey i shoot a modern semi auto but always wanted to use a side by side shotgun for duck Prob put some Gamebore standard steel thru it Lovely feel to the gun plus ya drop a few duck with what a old fowler i knew called a proper mans Gun feels a lot better :good:

• 2 weeks later...

A brain teaser.

I recently bought a 3inch Ugartechea blej. It`s very well built and Spanish 3"magnum proved. Made in 2003 it has full choke in both barrels. The company has now ceased trading.

With it`s beavertail fore end it was patently designed for the American market and post dates the introduction of non toxic shot to the U.K.

The Yanks have no proof laws and consumers are protected by the threat of massively punitive litigation against the guns maker and vendor should it fail in any way.

The Yanks. having shot steel for much longer than us in heavily built guns, like this Uggy, seem not to have our paranoia about steel and choke and happily fire smallish steel shot through full choked barrels, apparently without any problems.

I`m sure that, if I was an American duck hunter I`d happily be using steel through it, but I`ve been mentally tainted by the proof Regulations in this country into believing that I should have the barrels bored out to half choke or less to safely use steel.

As we know, the U.K. steel Proof Regs. are not law but a best guess, taken without any scientific background that I can discover, as to what was, or was not, thought to be "safe" parameters when the Regulations were passed some few years ago.

Has anyone here used smallish steel, say no larger than no.3, through a heavily choked side by side and did it cause any problems?

Cheers forum emailed AYA they got back to me the gun was made in 1979 as a AYA NO3 Magnum so its forty years old but looking at it you think it just came out of the factory Il be using Gamebore steel 34g no4s through it for Ducks Also it will get a day at the pheasants against The OVER AND UNDER Brigade lol :good:

I have a #3 with 3" chambers, although it is probably ok for steel with the right chokes, I had it sent for Teague chokes then on to steel shot proof, I now have a good solid well made gun that will take any factory loaded 3 inch shell knowing it is proofed to do so, and to be honest with the work and the cost of the gun it never came to much more than one of those Turkish things

D17 len could you give me some info on how you would go about this regards teague chokes and is it expensive mate just a option for me in the future if decided to maybe get the AYA NO3 sorted MINE IS CHOKED quarter and half so no rush just yet I Love this gun only bought it last month brought it over from England To N Ireland also shoot browning A5 Semi but to be honest picking up spent cases annoys me lol which you have to do Just love a good Side by Side Proper Mans GUN :rolleyes: