Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right ditchman, your orf my xmas card list, end of.

if you were thinking of the xmas card with a picture of your forged knife...wrong xmas....errr that would be xmas 2020 one :hmm: ZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

im going to bed wake me up if anything happens :lol:

Edited by ditchman

Indeed, I am taking Sunday's events as a warning! :yes:

good for you...positive mental attitude............

i think Bala is havin' a stroke or two at the moment... :oops:

i aint seen enuff fire to light a fag yet ....

Edited by ditchman

The forge wont be alight yet ditchman, I thought i had ordered some borax, had i ? had i heck, i think me brain is starting to adle :lol: . Do you know i would have staked my life on it. Have checked me history and emails, nada. Oh well this age thing is becoming a pain. Went to see my stickmaker mate today, he hasnt had a good time sorting the handle. He started off choosing bog oak, it was as black as coal, it would have been my choice, he started fitting it and it cracked in half. After some colourful language he chose some bog yew, guess what the same happened, i can imagine by this time the workshop was pretty electric :lol: . Anyway he then settled for a plain piece of oak. He then decided to inlay a farthing of his birth year in the top, even that didnt go right, he has now got to cut that off the top. Think he went little bit off centre with the hole, this ageing thing is a little frustrating :lol::lol: . This will get sorted, top 5mm sliced off, replaced with 5mm spacer of rams horn with farthing in the middle. Dont know what i am doing tommorrow, got a billet to forge but no flux. Cant believe i didnt order the flux :no::no: .

post-52836-0-41163400-1507309644_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-50716600-1507309685_thumb.jpg

Pity Pity, that handle does not look at all bad as it is. Sometimes having something just off a bit gives it character. I would have left it as is. Told you about bog oak, darn difficult stuff to work. You can have a lovely piece and get almost completely finished and break into a hidden split right up the middle. Get it right and it comes up brilliant.

Not too late to do a bit of file work along the spine. Chain saw files are best, smallest and largest you can get. A simple pattern is two small one large at a 45 deg angle from each side, then towards the point carefully reduce the size of the small file cut until it fades out.

I'll look for a photo of one for you. There are all sorts of clever patterns with various files but they need practise.

like the shape of the handle.. :lol:

you told us all in one of your posts you had ordered flux...........................

keep it coming....now that VIKING has gorn all la-di-da..on sparkly landrovers ...you are all we got... :lol::lol:

I have ordered 15N20, 75Ni8, 1095, Ferric Chloride. Citric Acid for Edinburgh Etch, I have had lots on me mind. Still Bl@@dy miffed i forgot the flux, now what am i going to do tommorrow :lol::lol::lol:

I have ordered 15N20, 75Ni8, 1095, Ferric Chloride. Citric Acid for Edinburgh Etch, I have had lots on me mind. Still Bl@@dy miffed i forgot the flux, now what am i going to do tommorrow :lol::lol::lol:

My god man...you will have to do it "the saxon way"........................

I am not even going to ask, I feel a ditchman answer lurking in the background :lol::lol:

no ....nothing wrong.....................the saxons made pattern welded swords...without borax and pigeonwatch and metal mans weekly.... :hmm:

see ...nothing sexual there....you've got me all wrong :unhappy:

no ....nothing wrong.....................the saxons made pattern welded swords...without borax and pigeonwatch and metal mans weekly.... :hmm:

see ...nothing sexual there....you've got me all wrong :unhappy: I was thinking more on what you was going to tell me to use for a substitute :lol::lol: