One for the Plumbers / Builders

English

On old lady who ifs a friend of my parents and lives in a downstairs flat is having sewage or cooking smells which she believe comes from her neighbours who by all accounts cook a lot of spicy food?

To try and overcome this she has had a new vent fan in her bathroom and this has not made any difference?

I wasn't surprised at this but she has had people out to look at it and her bathroom vent fan goes into a foul pipe vent which I understand is shared with the neighbouring flat where the two pipes are joined in what sounds like a "trouser piece" or 2 into 1 "Y" Pipe?

She would like to have the two pipes separated as she believes the smells are coming down her pipe and back into her flat.

As soon as she explains she wants to separate the two pipes the people she has seen want an order jointly from the Landlord of the other flat and her as the owner of her own flat?

I feel is something more simple like the vent pipe being blocked but she doesn't believe that. But this is a recent problem and I find myself asking what has changed?

Any ideas or links to other forums for help would be appreciated please.

Thanks

Gents thanks for the replies. To try and be clearer, the bathroom is a box room with no window or outside wall.

If you imagine the Loo connects into a 100mm pipe (guess on the size) via T piece. the pipe goes down into the ground to the drains. at the other end the pipe heads skywards and the extractor fan vents into it near the top of the bathroom ceiling -on all the time when the bathroom light is on.

As the pipe comes up into the loft space it runs along side (in parallel with the same pipe from the flat above the two then join into 1 pipe before venting to the outside world above the roof.

She claims the smells from the flat above "Sink" at the Y piece joining the two pipes and then then enter her flat?

Personally I think it must be a blockage somewhere as the smells would normally vent to atmosphere?

As for the extract fan, this takes air / odours / condensation in the bathroom and puts it in the to pipe foul going down air presumably going up or at least venting above the roof?

Gents thanks for the replies. To try and be clearer, the bathroom is a box room with no window or outside wall.

If you imagine the Loo connects into a 100mm pipe (guess on the size) via T piece. the pipe goes down into the ground to the drains. at the other end the pipe heads skywards and the extractor fan vents into it near the top of the bathroom ceiling -on all the time when the bathroom light is on.

As the pipe comes up into the loft space it runs along side (in parallel with the same pipe from the flat above the two then join into 1 pipe before venting to the outside world above the roof.

She claims the smells from the flat above "Sink" at the Y piece joining the two pipes and then then enter her flat?

Personally I think it must be a blockage somewhere as the smells would normally vent to atmosphere?

As for the extract fan, this takes air / odours / condensation in the bathroom and puts it in the to pipe foul going down air presumably going up or at least venting above the roof?

Why do you think the smell would vent into the atmosphere rather than into her bathroom? The extractor fan isn't sealed. All it is is a hole into the soil pipe with a fan in front of it. No wonder it smells.