Fordson super major restoration

viking

Don't wish to steal anyone's thunder, but this gives some info on the thread size for the blanking plug, see page 39.....http://www.fordson.se/6B_Hydraul_Suplement_Verkstadshandbok_025-050.pdf

Also a video of the value working...https://youtu.be/du5Xy_mWlq4

Cheers old un. It's hard looking at things I have no idea what they are, I keep reading but it's not sinking in at the moment. I knew what a spool vale vas the other day. Now I don't. As the video shows when I pull my leaver up for the arms it only lifted about 4 inches up and I have to hold it. In the video his went all the way to the top. Iv no idea if there are different types. If mines faulty or if I'm just doing it wrong.

yup tail of haddock...or i might go for chicken this week...........with curry sauce ofcoarse... :good:

Was in the Chippy today myself. Spam fritter butty. Beautiful

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers old un. It's hard looking at things I have no idea what they are, I keep reading but it's not sinking in at the moment. I knew what a spool vale vas the other day. Now I don't. As the video shows when I pull my leaver up for the arms it only lifted about 4 inches up and I have to hold it. In the video his went all the way to the top. Iv no idea if there are different types. If mines faulty or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Was in the Chippy today myself. Spam fritter butty. Beautiful

1st thing is check your oil level...........your oil needs to be dropped anyway its contaminated with moisture

check the oil level this evening........hydraulics either work or they dont.........yours are working but are starved of oil............

spool valve in.....operate lever......arms lift ....pull out spool valve to fullest extent to lock off the lift arms.........ok ?

Edited by ditchman

post-75754-0-88836800-1508875729_thumb.jpg

Ditchman’s photo brings it all back to me. A big field, a big heap of dung, a Fordson Major with front loader, and a Rotaspreader on the pick-up hitch. Pull (or was it push?) the black knob to divert oil to the rear linkage for the pick-up hitch, drop off the spreader, divert oil to the loader arms, fill the spreader, divert oil back to the rear linkage, hitch up the spreader, chuck the dung out on the field, then back to the heap for another load. This whole exercise took about ten minutes, and I would repeat it from morn till night, which meant operating the valve about 500 times per week. All fairly straightforward until the black knob fell off due to stripped threads, leaving nothing much to grip with frozen fingers (open air, no fancy heated cabs in those days).

Hydraulics on that model only worked when the pto shaft was running, and access to one particular field involved driving under telephone wires and then out onto the public road. Drop the loader arms and pass under the wires, climb off and disconnect the pto shaft (otherwise dung would be spread all over the neighbouring cottage), climb back on and raise the loader, climb off and re-connect the pto shaft, climb back on and drive away.

The Fordson had many good points, but dung spreading was a hell of a lot simpler with the contemporary Nuffield, which came as standard with two spool valves and an independent pto clutch.

...i forget stuff like that 40 years ago now...............

My muck-spreading with the Major was even further back, in the winter of 1964-65. At home, dad had a couple of Nuffields at that time, one with the sliding rear hubs on long stub axles that made it very easy to change the track width (handy for row-crop work) and easy to knock down a gate post if the driver forgot just how far those axles projected.

post-75754-0-39149400-1508885612_thumb.jpg

First tractor I drove was the John Deere Model B. It had a hand clutch that I could use when my legs were still too short to operate a normal clutch pedal, and my job was stop-start driving in fields while grown men loaded bales or sacks of grain. No age restrictions for driving tractors until about 1959.

“I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled……”

Edited by McSpredder

i must say im enjoying reading peoples past memories and stories of there tractors, (old gets) :lol::lol: and as easy as you all make it sound its all still baffling to me, i just need my mates brother to come round and show me, showing me is easier for me to understand most time than reading it, and even thought ill never use half the things id still like to know how everything works,

but we will get me there in the end, i think if ditchie lived closer he would come round and thrash me for being a slow learner :good::good: he has the patience of a saint, but the mind of e deviant :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by viking

done some costing today, before i added on the shot blasting i had it around £1200-£1500, with the shot blasting were talking £2,000 to make a show piece putting me all in just short of £5k, as with bonni im not doing it for profit, but id like to at least not lose on it, hard to find a price for its worth once done

i was looking for you and i found a page on e-bay full of knobs..........and stuff...

They are just the sellers though ditchy! :D

I preferred the hand throttles over foot, when the field is rough and your being thrown around a little, it was hard to keep a consistent pressure on the throttle! The hand throttle was good for setting the speed of the power turnover too.

I only worked on the farm for 3 years, but he had some cracking old tractors laying about, I couldn't help but have a mooch and check them all out. He even had a pair of old Alice chalmers sat rotting away 😕

Edited by Lord Geordie

Over the years I have restored around twenty old tractors.to do a proper job you will rarely get your money back.do it for the sense of pride you get when finished.

sounds like a plan :good::good:

They are just the sellers though ditchy! :D

I preferred the hand throttles over foot, when the field is rough and your being thrown around a little, it was hard to keep a consistent pressure on the throttle! The hand throttle was good for setting the speed of the power turnover too.

I only worked on the farm for 3 years, but he had some cracking old tractors laying about, I couldn't help but have a mooch and check them all out. He even had a pair of old Alice chalmers sat rotting away

that makes sense mate, not that i plan on going over rough ground :good::good:

rite, got my paper work of the bloke from the ford and fordson association to fill in and send off, i need to insure it via the serial number a bit like i did with the land rover, before i can send the paper work off, so who you guys using for insurance and what you paying :good:

i dont mind the sound of that :good::good:

with regards to the gears, explain this one to me :hmm::hmm:

1...5....4....& R in low box

2....3....6...& R in high box

thats why you start off in 5 and drop rev's double the clutch and pull ratio lever up into high......................end of..