Eye dominance

Young guns

When I dry mount  my shotgun I can see pretty much all the rib , but also the side of my o/u barrels. I am a left handed shooter, but when I close my right eye I can see just the rib, and not the side of my gun . Does this mean I have a eye dominance problem? Has anyone else had the problem and if so have you got any advice or what did you do?? Thanks in advance

To check eye dominance just point at something with both eyes open,then close one eye and then the other,the eye that is still looking down your finger is the dominant one.

that is close one eye at a time not one and then the other,or they will both be closed! if both closed and you can still see seek medical advice   haha 

31 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

To check eye dominance just point at something with both eyes open,then close one eye and then the other,the eye that is still looking down your finger is the dominant one.

that is close one eye at a time not one and then the other,or they will both be closed! if both closed and you can still see seek medical advice   haha 

The gun will also have an effect this is a very rough guide when looking at shooting. 

2 hours ago, AYA117 said:

what on earth is going on with me then? did as you said point at something eyes open, when I close my right eye finger goes to the left of target when I close my left eye finger goes to right of target:/   

31 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

what on earth is going on with me then? did as you said point at something eyes open, when I close my right eye finger goes to the left of target when I close my left eye finger goes to right of target:/   

Probably codominance but if things aren't entirely straightforward a coaching session is probably a good idea. 

Im right handed but strongly left eye dominant so shoot left handed, the better half is codominant and shuts her left eye just before she takes each shot. 

If the comb on your gun is to low  that when you put your head on stock  the eye can't see past the action so the opposite eye takes over and looks down the side of the barrel .a mate of mine had this happen to him put a stock reaser on and all was ok 

Wb I do the same as your other half shut left eye as I take the shot sometimes this means the target disappears behind the barrels but I know if its hidden by the barrels its in the right place. if I don't shut the left eye and I am using the rib and bead I see two of each.   

12 hours ago, Young guns said:

When I dry mount  my shotgun I can see pretty much all the rib , but also the side of my o/u barrels. I am a left handed shooter, but when I close my right eye I can see just the rib, and not the side of my gun . Does this mean I have a eye dominance problem? Has anyone else had the problem and if so have you got any advice or what did you do?? Thanks in advance

Sounds like you've got perfectly normal dominance. Everyone 'sees' the side of the barrels with off eye - but only if they look at them. Remember that we don't see with our eyes, we see with our brain, and the brain is very good at learning to 'not see' things which are irrelevant to the task in hand. A typical example is the car steering wheel; It's right there way up in the field of view, but you only really 'see' it when you deliberately look at it. Same with the barrels of your gun, concentrate on the target and in no time flat you'll stop being aware of the barrels - or any other bits of the gun.

My personal view is that a lot of dry mounting, particularly indoors, can cause you to be too visually aware of the gun which is exactly what you don't want.

The advice to see a coach/fitter is the only certain path. 

I have right handed left eyed syndrome - and in my case is easily solved by just blinking the eye as I shoulder the gun.  My right eye then fucntions fine and I shoot a normal fit right hand right eyed gun, but I do have to just blink the left eye, which has become 100% instinctive now.

Despite various comments to the contrary which have cropped up over the years, eye dominance is very simple to diagnose.

Virtually all coaches teach cross dominant students to either close the dominant eye or use an occluder such as a piece of tape positioned on the glasses in front of the dominant eye. However, it's evident that the OP is not cross dominant so it's all pretty academic.

Having said that, a few sessions with a decent coach is usually a good idea.