Greylag Call

johnnytheboy

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

IIRC, the Buck Gardner will be the Greylag Hammer/Grelag Ghost, which are really hard to master.

These are pretty good and easy to use, even though they look a bit cheap and naff.

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/scotch-scotch-calls-greylag-goose-plastic-s11865.html

As Paul says they are cheap and the blue one is a bit naff (i have two in green) but they are really easy to blow and sound good enough to have called plenty of geese for me - it was the first call i ever bought (back when i was fowling in your part of the world)! I have since wasted my money buying a Greylag Hammer but just couldn't get on with it at all (although in the right hands they sound incredible)

The greylag hammer is pretty hard to master. I could get the right notes some of the time, but not consistently. The nordik greylag is pretty good. It is easier to get a tune out of than the hammer, and sounds ok. It can jam occasionally, but maybe that's just me! I have also found that a haydels snow goose call doubles up as a decent grey call when blown correctly.

For me, the problem with all the long reed Olt 800 style calls is that the reed will jam if you blow it too hard and they lack volume.

This is probably a daft question, but for the blokes who tried a short reed call and could`nt get on with it,what part of it`s operation gave you the problem? I do understand that, if you knew why it would`nt work you`d probably have rectified the issue. I`m curious to know if theres a single part of the operation of a short reed call that a simple on-line tutorial might go some way to curing.

18 hours ago, mudpatten said:

For me, the problem with all the long reed Olt 800 style calls is that the reed will jam if you blow it too hard and they lack volume.

This is probably a daft question, but for the blokes who tried a short reed call and could`nt get on with it,what part of it`s operation gave you the problem? I do understand that, if you knew why it would`nt work you`d probably have rectified the issue. I`m curious to know if theres a single part of the operation of a short reed call that a simple on-line tutorial might go some way to curing.

The grunting, growling and groaning required from the throat (see instruction video below). Made me cough like a fatherless son and gave me a sore throat.

Edited by Penelope