Must be something in the water...

walshie

One of the ladies my wife goes to see (a typical Eastender moved to Wales 30 years ago) is 100 years old this week. She doesn't go to the old folks place for dinners as she "doesn't want to sit with a load of old people." :lol:

We went to the local hunt this morning and we got talking to the people next to us. It was a husband, wife and her mother. The mother is 101 and stood there for about 45 minutes before the hunt left. Bright as a button and looked about 25 years younger than that.

I've never known anyone anyone near 100 and now I know of 2 in the last week. I'm going to be 110 at least now I live here. 

Good luck with that one. I remember at 50, saying I was half way through my life ? Long as I can still lift a gun ( I'll even still accept 60 percent misses) give me an off road mobility scooter and I'll try for the ton. Bet they were well interesting people...,.how much have they seen change? From horse and cart to electric cars, space ships, mobile phones, internet, wow the list is endless. Good on em.

Edited by getthegat
Incorrect spelling

I had a neighbour who used to walk everywhere...could not drive... a taxi would occasionally come if she was going into the city centre. She was an instructor at the local bridge club, sharp as a button.  We called in to see her one Christmas and happened to see a couple of birthday cards on the mantelpiece and she eventually admitted to being 100.

Amazing lady, played bridge at the club every Tuesday and Friday.

Read the obits and most of the men have been fighter pilots and POWs in the last war and in their late 90s.  U think something about their life style in their early years but there again back then everyone smoked to start with. 

I think there are many factors that all need to come together;

• Genetic factors - long lived parents and inherited resistance to some medical conditions
  • Lifestyle including activity, both physical and mental including social contact (especially in the elderly)
  • Diet, meaning eating a range of things providing all vitamins, minerals etc., whilst keeping a lowish weight

A long life isn't necessarily a good thing; my great aunt lived to a great age (late 90's), and whilst physically well (if frail), she had deteriorated mentally to the extent that she had only a very short term awareness of her surroundings and didn't recognise many people at all.  It wasn't a 'bad' quality of life in that she was physically comfortable enough and still had the mental capacity to read newspapers (and read out parts she found interesting) - but 10 minutes later she had forgotten about them, know when she was hungry, thirsty etc., but wouldn't know what she had for the last meal, or what time of the year it was.

Everyone I have known who has made a great age has been very active and kept in good physical shape.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I think one of the keys to long life is to have something to look forward to all the time. Being motivated by things, having hobbies and interests. Once you start just sitting in front of a TV and being a couch potato you're on the downward slope physically and mentally  .

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think there are many factors that all need to come together;

• Genetic factors - long lived parents and inherited resistance to some medical conditions
  • Lifestyle including activity, both physical and mental including social contact (especially in the elderly)
  • Diet, meaning eating a range of things providing all vitamins, minerals etc., whilst keeping a lowish weight

A long life isn't necessarily a good thing; my great aunt lived to a great age (late 90's), and whilst physically well (if frail), she had deteriorated mentally to the extent that she had only a very short term awareness of her surroundings and didn't recognise many people at all.  It wasn't a 'bad' quality of life in that she was physically comfortable enough and still had the mental capacity to read newspapers (and read out parts she found interesting) - but 10 minutes later she had forgotten about them, know when she was hungry, thirsty etc., but wouldn't know what she had for the last meal, or what time of the year it was.

Everyone I have known who has made a great age has been very active and kept in good physical shape.

There was a lady, who was at the nursing home my mother worked at, who used to have a can of Guinness every day. On her 100th she received her telegram from the queen and  Guinness came, gave her a party and free Guinness for the rest of her life! (2 more years)

I don’t want to live to 100. At that point people have buried their kids, grandkids even and lots of friends. I don’t want to see that.

Walker570 looks ace for his age and his hands are like polar bear paws ( huge)  

my mate died a few years back at 73 and it’s detroyed his wife of 50+ years . My sister died at 19 and my grandad died inside that day and gave up living .