Gas bangers

hatsanmad

Hi guys this is probably a silly question but I have been told mixed things about gas bangers so would appreciate anyone elses experiences. I have been shooting a flooded spud field recently as geese and ducks have been using it very regularly but the farmer hasn't taken the spuds up yet. I went the other week to see he had put a gas banger on the spuds as the geese had started grazing through the spuds. Ducks still came in during the evening. Now my question is will the banger put the geese off all together or do they get used to it eventually? Some people have told me that they soon wise up to the banger is this true? I understand why the farmer has done this and i dont blame him im just wanting to see if my season has pretty much finished on there now or might I still get the odd couple for the table? Opinions please guys? 

Edited by hatsanmad

Ok thanks guys. So the rest of the season is written off just yet then. Im more then happy just bagging a couple of ducks but the added goose is a bonus for me. As I said the geese had been feeding very hard on it the main reason for the banger i found out today was apparently alot of swans have been on aswell

There's gas bangers and then there's gas bangers. There's also how they're used. Where I shoot the farm has two having replaced the one old worn out old version - the banger and the gas bottle with virtually no control over it - for the two more modern versions. Although I'll put them out if necessary over the standing crop if we're not able to shoot, in the main they're used on new drilling while the seeds are vulnerable to the rooks/crows. Having set the start and stop times (photocell - consideration for the neighbours) you set the interval between bangs as you see fit. Yep, they'll get the hang of this so you reduce the time which works for a while until it doesn't. Usually they'll lift off and then sit back down. At this point you simply alter the number of bangs. I've never had to use more than two - the old right and left works a treat. I suppose it takes about 3 or4 visits to alter things but for the fortnight or so when it's required they do the job well.

11 hours ago, 39TDS said:

I think the only thing sensitive to gas bangers are horse owners, nothing else seems to take any notice after the first day (especially horses).

And me, 

Once out pigeon shooting there was one right behind me other side of a hedge, sat there all ready then BOOM !!! 

Right off me seat ! 

Would have been nice to be told it was there, :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

And me, 

Once out pigeon shooting there was one right behind me other side of a hedge, sat there all ready then BOOM !!! 

Right off me seat ! 

Would have been nice to be told it was there, :rolleyes:

Spent an awful lot of my life growing cabbages for a living, obviously there are usually bangers in the fields and we rarely bother to turn them off when in there working.

There's something about a banger going off that warns you what it is, not sure if it is the shockwave, a noise or what it is but after not very long at all you don't even flinch. I think there's something that gives away what it is and your brain has time to process it and tell you there's a loud bang coming. Very difficult to explain but all of us working in the field are the same, you hardly even notice it going off even when not far away at all.

Hilarious when working with casual labour that are not used to it. They pretty much have a heart attack every 20 minutes. :D