What to replace Hilux Invincible With

Brad93

Had a Hilux Invincible for the last three years. It’s been a great vehicle. Never gone wrong and always been dependable.

However since May I’ve had a job further away and what with rising fuel costs I literally can’t afford to run it anymore as a commuting vehicle.  

I don’t do as much side work anymore so could get away with a much smaller 4x4 that could tow a small trailer. 

What would you recommend. Needs to have a decent 4x4 option equivalent to the Hilux for general in and out of slippery grass fields on hills. 

I do 40 miles each day to work, so petrol could be a viable option. 

Can an anyone recommend something reliable, efficient and good off road?

Edited by Brad93

Realistically most of the mid range 4x4’s will tow that.  Looking at economy is fine but it depends what your hi lux is actually doing mpg wise. 

Most that are capable of pulling a trailer are only going to do 40ish mpg at best.  Our outlander promises 50 plus mpg but is realistically 40 and that is one of the better ones. If you get over 30mpg then factoring in the Cost of buying a different vehicle you may not save much if at all. 

11 minutes ago, al4x said:

Realistically most of the mid range 4x4’s will tow that.  Looking at economy is fine but it depends what your hi lux is actually doing mpg wise. 

Most that are capable of pulling a trailer are only going to do 40ish mpg at best.  Our outlander promises 50 plus mpg but is realistically 40 and that is one of the better ones. If you get over 30mpg then factoring in the Cost of buying a different vehicle you may not save much if at all. 

Hi Alex. 

I’m currrntly averaging 24mpg in my Hilux. 26mpg if it has an oil change and the tracking done. When towing it still seems to get 22-24. 

The trailer will only be every now and again. Max weight on it would be 800kg or so. What’s a big rectangular bale of straw weigh? 

That’s not great mpg, I have to say my l200 I get 32.5 plus usually so in real life the better economy in my other halfs outlander doesn’t make that much difference.

at a guess you are looking at towing 1200kgs max so most smaller 4x4’s will in theory do it. However I wouldn’t want to with the likes of a rav 4 etc so your choices aren’t that wise to get good economy and tow occasionally.  Much as I think they have their issues my outlaws freelander would do it ok and economy generally would be 37-40ish on decent runs. 

If just doing grass work how about a saloon or estate plus some all terrain tyres? An octavia 4x4 will legally tow 1800kg, do 50-60mpg on a longer run, and do slippery fields on the right rubber...

That said the new fabia will tow 1200kg and drink less for half the price, and likely be almost as capable on the right rubber.

A simpler alternative might be to try moderating the right foot. When i am using the better half's far exclusively it averages 54mpg, whereas it averages 42mpg when she is the only one using it.

Edited by Wb123