wacker plate on hardcore

mel b3

hiya guys ,

im needing to drop a bit of hardcore onto our woodland , its for an area of around 40' x 40' so that i can turn my car around without sinking/slipping . i know that the correct way to do it is dig it out and then get a roller on the hardcore , but , im just looking to do a quick fix , as getting a roller on there wouldnt be very easy /secure if left overnight. the question is , would a wacker plate be of any use , or would it just be a waste of time and effort ?. im not looking for perfect , im just looking for doable and useable.

cheers guys.

A wacker plate would be ok, you’d only be wasting money on a roller. Because as as soon as you pull in and out, and turning on it  you’ll rut and disturb the stone whatever you compact it with. Just make sure you go over it plenty of times.

as you said yourself, your looking for a quick fix

Edited by Delwint

I've done acres with one over the years. Couple of points don't lay stone on mud so make sure it's dug off enough so it dry and firm underneath. The vibrations will only pull the water through the stone and make it worse. Also put the stone down in layers of no more than 4inch at a time. Go over it a few time and cross hatch it. Should be fine. Many drives and patios are done like that. 

thank you for the information guys.

id like to get a mini digger on there , but its in the middle of nowhere along a single track lane,  so access and security would also be a bit of a problem.

getting a lorry load of hardcore there isnt really doable either , so it looks like getting a few mates up there with shovels , and lots of journeys with my navara(hope it doesnt break in half) filled with hardcore , then wacker it to death for a few days.

my next question is.

am i better to buy a wacker plate , then sell it when im finished , or, just hire one for a week or two ?.

For that sort of area you are looking at 25 tons just to put down 4" which still isnt really enough. Its also surprising how quickly the ground swallows up the hardcore if you dont prep properly, we did my dads driveway a few years ago and he didnt bother edging it or putting down a membrane, 2 years later and it needs redoing and we put down lots of material and compacted with a 5 ton roller.

Have you considered the grass re-enforcement grids instead, they are quicker and easier to put down than tons of hardcore and will also look better in your woodland.

2 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

You could borrow mine Mel :good:

absolutely fantastic ollie , thank you very much mate.

im just thinking about the structure of the ground that needs the hardcore . the top 6" to 8" is pretty soft and sloppy , its just soil and leaf mulch that has built up over the years , as ive driven onto it ive sort of moved the sloppy stuff around , and got to firmer stuff underneath , im not sure if this is the natural soil surface , or , if it has has hardcore put down previously(the short access ramp on to the land is already hardcore).

26 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

absolutely fantastic ollie , thank you very much mate.

im just thinking about the structure of the ground that needs the hardcore . the top 6" to 8" is pretty soft and sloppy , its just soil and leaf mulch that has built up over the years , as ive driven onto it ive sort of moved the sloppy stuff around , and got to firmer stuff underneath , im not sure if this is the natural soil surface , or , if it has has hardcore put down previously(the short access ramp on to the land is already hardcore).

Sounds like part of my drive!