A general purpose 12g cartridge.

Just got a semi auto and have found myself loading with 6 on fields where i am likely to see rabbit then reload bb for where i see fox.With the sounds of even quiet reloading and possible lost time is there a good general load that would do both?I know even light loads can kill fox but i dont want to leave that to chance.I might be asking the impossible.I would spend a bit more too if need be.Thankyou.

Just got a semi auto and have found myself loading with 6 on fields where i am likely to see rabbit then reload bb for where i see fox.With the sounds of even quiet reloading and possible lost time is there a good general load that would do both?I know even light loads can kill fox but i dont want to leave that to chance.I might be asking the impossible.I would spend a bit more too if need be.Thankyou.

It depends what you want to do with the rabbit afterwards! No 2 or 3 shot is good enough for Charlie (but closer in than BB) but makes a bit of a mess of bunnies if you want them for the pot. Also, the smaller no of shot means there are gaps in the pattern that might stop you achieving a killing (as opposed to a wounding) shot.

You could try having a cartridge of each type in each barrel if you have a sbs or O/U (with switchable barrels)! Or just keep a few of each type handy.

B

Thats what i miss about my o/u.BB in top and 6 in bottom and switch as needed.I did wonder about bb for rabbit but I do eat them or give away to eat.Was not sure if bb messed the meat up so thanks for answer on that.

Under, I would say, 15 yards 6's will kill a fox. That's just opinion, I've passed up on an oppertunity like that. I wouldn't pass the second time. I don't want to sound blunt, as this is a friendly forum, if you're going after rabbit go after rabbit. Close in foxes with rabbit loads as described above is fine. If you're going out for foxes go with BB's :rolleyes: Good luck :lol:

if you're going after rabbit go after rabbit. Close in foxes with rabbit loads as described above is fine. If you're going out for foxes go with BB's :rolleyes: Good luck :lol:

Im with John on this 1 , but if your out rabbit shooting and you see a fox just shoot it - like everybody else would on here ( now theres an honest answer for you)

Im a bit spoilt because my semi is the full monty so I load a heavy cartridge maybe 3rd one, and reload with 4 after 2 shots at bunnies if they are for the pot, but if on an organised vermin shoot I load alternate bb and 4.

I do think 6 is a little light for Rabbit at any sort of range........ get down behind the parapet now :good:

:good: D2D

round in chamber - 30-32gm No.6

next - 36gm No.4

last shot - heaviest BB,No.1 or 2 your gun will take safely.

If you don`t hit the rabbit with 2 shots don`t try the 3rd, if a fox gets up rapid 1st and 2nd shot and if necessary the 3rd to stop it in it`s tracks.

next - 36gm No.4

If you don`t hit the rabbit with 2 shots don`t try the 3rd, if a fox gets up rapid 1st and 2nd shot and if necessary the 3rd to stop it in it`s tracks.

Thats what I said,.... nearly :good:

I do think 6 is a little light for Rabbit at any sort of range........ get down behind the parapet now :good:

I use 6's for rabbit when I go out after them with the shottie. I tried 4's one time, loaded 5 carts into the semi. Shot 5 rabbits, only had two going home, never used them again. I'd say I've had maybe 2 or 3 runners out of all I've shot with 6's. I can't explain it, just the way it happened.

next - 36gm No.4

Best advice for the question so far...

... Why didn't I think of it first :good:

i use an semi auto for rough shooting, i load the first cartridge as a AAA then the next 2 as 6's i can then shoot it like a normal s/s when i see a fox, i can either unload the first 2 or shoot it with 6's if it's close while still having a quick AAA back up if needed. To be honest, at ranges sub 20yds,(i haven't tried any further) the 6's absolutely destroy a fox when shot in the head and i have had no runners, and so have not needed the AAA at all