‘Please don’t sneak out’.

JDog

Those were my wife’s words to me just before daughter Emily and boyfriend Paddy arrived here for a few days after a five month trip round Central America. Who me? Family time beckoned.

Clodhopper put the cat amongst the pigeons by calling to say he had seen a few you know whats. Naughty boy. So we went as a family to the coast and had a great time in the morning and when we returned home I sneaked out.

Clodhopper couldn’t get there until 2:30 but I went earlier and spied a great line into a ploughed field where 300 pigeons sat. Others joined and all looked good until the top dresser followed by the sprayer went into the adjacent rape fields and frightened all of the pigeons away. Some tried to get back but the cloud of dust left by the top dresser/sulphur spreader was such that we agreed it would not be a good idea to shoot there.

A mile away was another rape field so we tried that. Rudimentary hides and a rotary with a few dead birds were set out. By now it was 3:45 and I was not optimistic. Then a good line started and we had some good birds come to us, not many of which decoyed properly, and in an hour and a quarter we shot 22 good pigeons. 

You know your better half don't really mean it when they put please in front of the request , mine would be a bit more blunt saying , I haven't seen you much for the last few months and by giving the pigeons a rest today , there might be more when you go tomorrow , I tell yer , we haven't been married over 40 years without my wife knowing a little bit about shooting pigeons , or should I say pigeon shooting .

I would have thought Clodhopper put the Dog amongst the pigeons and not the cat .

Anyhow , if you didn't start shooting till 3.45 and got 22 in the time you were there , then you both done well as up to now I have been packing up or on my home by that time.

This time last week we were saying how cold and wet it was , now today they were putting spuds in , the beet is finished and the ground have dried out and at long last I can now drive around the headlands margins :good:, Spring is now just about here.

Unfortunately I did not finish work until 2pm so this dictated the start time. The pigeons had been feeding quite late which helped.  Dry weather here today has also caused a flurry of activity with sprayers and fert. spreaders seemingly in every field. The plan A field had birds following a strong line to it for a few days but  neither JDog nor I fancied a lung full of the sulphur compound which was being cast on the land. In a week or so these rape fields will be a different prospect with rapid growth concentrating the birds on the backward areas.

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

You know your better half don't really mean it when they put please in front of the request , mine would be a bit more blunt saying , I haven't seen you much for the last few months and by giving the pigeons a rest today , there might be more when you go tomorrow , I tell yer , we haven't been married over 40 years without my wife knowing a little bit about shooting pigeons , or should I say pigeon shooting .

I would have thought Clodhopper put the Dog amongst the pigeons and not the cat .

Anyhow , if you didn't start shooting till 3.45 and got 22 in the time you were there , then you both done well as up to now I have been packing up or on my home by that time.

This time last week we were saying how cold and wet it was , now today they were putting spuds in , the beet is finished and the ground have dried out and at long last I can now drive around the headlands margins :good:, Spring is now just about here.

More snow over Easter, they say John.