171 members have voted

1. 1. Should wood pigeons be intitled to a close season

• Yes they should
    • No they should'nt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

redstag88, have you tried cooking those rape leaves, I understand they taste foul. :P

Most of us made our feelings known on the other thread, but it is very much a matter of personal choice.

As I will definitely not be going to Scotland and hiring hunterswind as my Pigeon Guide, I have no hesitation in shooting any of his pigeons that stray South. :P:P

Pigeons are by law classed as a serious agicultural pest just the same as rats, on that line of thinking do people think we should have a close season for rats when they are breeding, no of coarse not.

We need to do the sensible thing here and self regulate our shooting (which the vast majority of us do anyway) we each have our own patch to shoot over and if you overshoot we all know what happens, the pigeons soon find somewhere quieter and we are left with empty skies and fields.

SH.

SH

Well said, my sentiments exactly. But be carefull, when I wrote virtually the same thing, a certain so called profesional pigeon guide from Scotland saw fit to rebuke me.

He claims that he can pick and choose his clients, but forgets that he who pays the piper calls the tune, funny that for a Scotsman.

Fortunateley all Scotsmen and pigeon guides dont share his views.

webber

Guest flightline
All the above points are valid but I think they should be given a close season, even if it was only a couple of months

Ollie

Why don`t you have your own personal voluntary close season? Feel free to make it as long as you like. That way you can feel happy, some pigeons will live longer, and we`ll feel happy that you`re happy and not interfering in what most of the rest of us are doing. Just don`t tell your farmers.

I dont want a close season: I dont shoot enough pigeons to even create a substantial dent in the local population :P

They breed throughout so many months the closed season would be too long! March, april, may,june,july,august,september and sometimes october are the months they breed in.

tody

closed season, bad idea, these critters are a major pest, maybe il take a photo of a oil seed rape field i have got access to, the damage is immense, (I'm trying to solve it!)

I don't know about decline, there seem to be a few more this year, I'm noticing them where i haven't seen them daring go before (e.g. in the garden when the dogs about, to get a good feed of the ivy in the hedge!)

They need shooting all year round.

Matt

Hunterswind and others take note.

There are two intersesting articles in the April issue of Sporting Shooter, one on page 11, the other on page 54.

I think that they say it all!

If you dont want to shoot pigeon when you think they are breeding thats fine, dont.

But dont try to stop those who do want to enjoy some excellent sport and reduce an increasing problem.

webber :P

I was once told that both the male and female parents can produce the "pigeon milk" that the young chicks are fed on, therefore both parents would need to be shot before the chicks starved. Thus creating a greater chance of chick survival and lowering the effects of shooting on the population during the summer months.

Can anyone back up this theory?

Mark.

ALL PIGEONS (male and female) FEED THEIR YOUNG WITH MILK PRODUCED IN THEIR CROP.

THE CROP WALL THICKENS (it is a gland) IN BOTH SEXES DURING THE INCUBATION PERIOD (17 days) TO PRODUCE A CHEESE LIKE SUBSTANCE WHICH THEN BREAKS DOWN TO PRODUCE PROLACTIN.

SQUABS ARE GIVEN NOTHING ELSE FOR THE FIRST 3 DAYS OF LIFE, AFTER THAT THE MILK IS MIXED WITH OTHER FOODS, MORE EACH DAY, UP TO 15 DAYS WHEN THE PARENT BIRDS STOP PRODUCING THE MILK.

BOTH SEXES INCUBATE THE EGGS, THE MALE, IN 90% OF OBSERVED CASES TAKING OVER FROM THE FEMALE AT AROUND 5.00PM AND DOING THE NIGHTSHIFT.

70% OF ALL YOUNG ARE REARED IN AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER. THE MAIN INCUBATION PERIOD BEING MID JULY TO MID AUGUST.

SHOULD YOU LIKE TO ENFORCE YOUR OWN CLOSED SEASON, THEN DON'T SHOOT THEM FROM MID JULY TO MID OCTOBER...

PREVIOUS POSTERS PLEASE TAKE NOTE...

AND BY THE WAY WHEN YOU HEAR A WOODPIGEON CALLING IT IS A MALE, THE FEMALES DON'T CALL...