Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bornfree

Beretta 682x trap

Recommended Posts

Just bought a 682x trap 32" 3/4 and full fixed choke. As it's a non selective trigger and iam using it for sporting what would you open it up to?  Iam thinking of 3/8 and 3/8 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re an experienced shooter I personally wouldn’t alter it; I’d just learn to shoot with it. I don’t really regard tight chokes as a drawback. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/2 x 3/4 should cover everything , just remember once taken out , cannot  be put back, I use 1/2 and 1/2 a lot but then I have ten chokes to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you really must then 1/2 & 1/2 but I personally wouldn't do that to that particular model. I did have a low mileage DT10 minter Trap opened out to 1/2 & 3/4 but I then also coughed up £450 to have it fitted with a barrel selector, the reason being I knew I could get the costs back if I ever sold it - and I did. :)

The 682X is a much cheaper gun and having it fitted with multi chokes is probably too expensive because realistically you then should also do the barrel selector which is not sensible cost wise. 

Bear in mind that the X being a semi high rib is best suited to DTL and not really quite the animal for ESP, one more reason for not going wild on spending. To recap, leave as is or go 1/2 & 1/2, you may, just, not lose money upon resale but you will have done a slight disservice to the guns intended purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you’re an experienced shooter I personally wouldn’t alter it; I’d just learn to shoot with it. I don’t really regard tight chokes as a drawback. 

 

As the world sporting champion only uses 1/2 and 1/2 I think 3/4 and full is a bit much for us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get it bored out it will knock money off it, why did you not buy a Sporter? A few years ago I bought a 682X to use as an all round gun, anything going away was smoked but I could not get on with the high rib even though the gun was nicely balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bornfree said:

As the world sporting champion only uses 1/2 and 1/2 I think 3/4 and full is a bit much for us 

Who he ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bornfree said:

Richard bunning

Great, but then seeing as many more shots have won the same title and more besides whilst using tighter chokes why not use them as examples !?! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hamster said:

Great, but then seeing as many more shots have won the same title and more besides whilst using tighter chokes why not use them as examples !?! 

 

Have you honestly ever seen a target on a sporting round that an optima green choke wouldn't break and break well.

But will a bored out 682x match an optima choke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bornfree said:

Have you honestly ever seen a target on a sporting round that an optima green choke wouldn't break and break well.

Wouldn't is a "loaded" word, Skeet would break most targets, it wouldn't have a useful break signature though, 1/2 does and will break some silly distance birds but if you accept and understand what chokes do then you have to accept and understand that on some presentations keeping more of the pellets together for longer has to help, statistically

If I came across a very distant Teal or edgy quartering I would definitely feel better with Full, confidence alone is worth the odd pellet but, again, I say if you understand and accept what chokes do then you have to accept a denser pattern is at times preferable. I say this as someone who uses 1/2 & 1/2 or 3/4 almost exclusively.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Wouldn't is a "loaded" word, Skeet would break most targets, it wouldn't have a useful break signature though, 1/2 does and will break some silly distance birds but if you accept and understand what chokes do then you have to accept and understand that on some presentations keeping more of the pellets together for longer has to help, statistically

If I came across a very distant Teal or edgy quartering I would definitely feel better with Full, confidence alone is worth the odd pellet but, again, I say if you understand and accept what chokes do then you have to accept a denser pattern is at times preferable. I say this as someone who uses 1/2 & 1/2 or 3/4 almost exclusively.  

But now many shoots do you get a target like that these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bornfree said:

But now many shoots do you get a target like that these days?

It doesn't affect you and me but statistically it will help the top shots, their problem is not really shot placement after all, Championships are usually won/lost with a single target. Most top shots use tight chokes, quite a few use Full & Full, none use 3/8's although I have a lot of time for that myself !

There must be a reason why they prefer tight and I believe it's because they don't take chances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bornfree said:

Just bought a 682x trap 32" 3/4 and full fixed choke. As it's a non selective trigger and iam using it for sporting what would you open it up to?  Iam thinking of 3/8 and 3/8 

Should have found a multi-choked version!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just shoot it as it is and see how it goes, far too many shooters think about chokes instead of just focusing on the target and putting the barrels in the right place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bornfree said:

Not many about in 32"

I’ve had three 32” and the two fixed choke ones seemed to handle better than the multichoke. Started off with a fixed choke, then had it teagued because I thought I was disadvantaged on the close stuff. Then bought a multichoke and didn’t like that , eventually sold those two and went back to a fixed 3/4 and full which I shot well with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Should have found a multi-choked version!

 

5 hours ago, bornfree said:

Not many about in 32"

I know, but there is one in the left hand cabinet and it has those long Beretta Mobil chokes in it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bornfree said:

As the world sporting champion only uses 1/2 and 1/2 I think 3/4 and full is a bit much for us 

I don’t know who you mean by ‘us’, but like I said, ‘personally’ I’d leave it alone and learn to shoot with it. There isn’t a lot that half and half won’t cover, but I shoot Sporting with high rib trap guns choked full and full and find it great fun, even for close in birds. I won’t ever be competing at world level but will be going tighter with my sporter also. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scully said:

I don’t know who you mean by ‘us’, but like I said, ‘personally’ I’d leave it alone and learn to shoot with it. There isn’t a lot that half and half won’t cover, but I shoot Sporting with high rib trap guns choked full and full and find it great fun, even for close in birds. I won’t ever be competing at world level but will be going tighter with my sporter also. 

Amen to that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Scully said:

I don’t know who you mean by ‘us’, but like I said, ‘personally’ I’d leave it alone and learn to shoot with it. There isn’t a lot that half and half won’t cover, but I shoot Sporting with high rib trap guns choked full and full and find it great fun, even for close in birds. I won’t ever be competing at world level but will be going tighter with my sporter also. 

 

 

Us. As in mere mortals and not world champions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bornfree said:

Us. As in mere mortals and not world champions.

Ah, I see. It would seem there are some who would beg to differ on your comment ‘3/4 and full is a bit much for us’. Try it, you’ll be surprised. It certainly concentrates the mind. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2019 at 19:14, Scully said:

Ah, I see. It would seem there are some who would beg to differ on your comment ‘3/4 and full is a bit much for us’. Try it, you’ll be surprised. It certainly concentrates the mind. 🙂

I don`t shoot clays, most of my shooting is at pigeons or crows, I`ve been using 1/4 and 1/4 for a while, but recently bought a Breda with 3/4 and full,  I still miss just as many  with the Breda as I did with the 1/4 1/4 😁 but the ones I do hit drop every time. I was told by a very successful shooter to get used to whatever I shot and enjoy!   which is good advice in my opinion 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...