Hi guys I’m new to Pigeonwatch! I have read the forum plenty of times for tips and trusted opinions on our beloved sport. It’s been big help over the years!! 

I need some help with my recently purchased "aa decoys Rotary". I want to change the speed setting up a notch, I know it has a higher setting but don’t know how to change it up. Has anyone got any advice on this at all if so I would greatly appreciate your knowledge! And advice. 

Cheers guys 

Rory. 

Edited by RoryJPrice

welcome to PW.

I have an AA magnet and its fixed speed, you say you know its speed can be increased, where did you get that from?

Just to add, I think mine runs about 40 rpm, which I find is fast enough to pull pigeons.

Edited by old'un

Mine have got two settings but it started life as a motor for windscreen wipers and not a purpose made one like yours , If you cant change the speed on your one then you might have to invest in a speed controller , although I have yet to find weather the speed make that much difference . 

If it is an adjustable type, unclip the power connector from the side of the unit and move it to the next connector on the left as you look at it. One thing to consider is the length of cable you use from the battery. I ran a 20 yard cable back to the battery in the hide to be able to switch the magnet on and off as I needed. I found that the amp rating of the cable I used was too low for the current draw of the magnet and as a result it rotated fairly slowly. Simply reverting to the length of cable supplied increased the speed. I did find that the higher speed setting was really too fast and only use the standard setting.

Thanks guys for your responses. Glad to be here.

The reason I say it has two speed settings is because on the AA decoys website it states it is a two speed rotary. And when I attended the great British shooting show the guys from aa said it has two settings. Just wondered how you changed it up that’s all. 

I think I may give it a go first on the standard setting and see how it fairs, as it maybe that it’s absolutely suitable as it is. I guess I will wait and see. Not sure I want to fiddle two much with the wiring but I will have a look into that, good to know. Hopefully the speed will be sufficient to bring them in. I will look into speed controllers too. I guess it could be a case of trial and error. 

Thank you for your help guys! 

Rory. 

19352739-3C4A-4F20-B59D-9277522337CE.png.f05448ef43c2ac41972d6c36d8189513.png

Thanks for the Welcome oldypigeonpopper. Yeah I got mine from aa. I was really impressed by their value for money and build quality! Very robust. They had ran out of rotary’s to sell at the shooting show but gave me their owners personal number to call when home. And explain I was there!

So I called and spoke to Andy Moss such a great guy really humble and sorted me out with a great deal on a magnet and flapper with batteries and a charger! Having already used their flapper with a friend I wanted one to and I must say they work great.

He only took the money once the order had been dispatched and I received it next day. Got to say brilliant customer service and I definitely recommend them. Check them out guys www.aadecoys.com 

Cheers 

Rory. 

Edited by RoryJPrice

Sorry  :blush: ….mine is not an AA magnet, its an A1 magnet and the wires go straight into the motor body, no terminals to change I just plug it in and run it at its 40 rpm.

Don’t know if a speed controller would increase or decrease this model?

magnet.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 09/03/2019 at 09:54, old'un said:

Sorry   ….mine is not an AA magnet, its an A1 magnet and the wires go straight into the motor body, no terminals to change I just plug it in and run it at its 40 rpm.

Don’t know if a speed controller would increase or decrease this model?

magnet.jpg

A speed controller would only adjust it to slow it down, not increase the speed without fiddling with the rotary internals.