hide poles

peacey

i'm after some hide poles and advice on building a hide. poles vary massively in price and someone told me to use clothes props with camo tape on but these obviously don't have the ground spikes etc. would this be a particular problem? new to pigeon shooting and any advice on this would be great. got most of my other gear camo screen etc but its the poles and flappers i'm not sure of

i'm after some hide poles and advice on building a hide. poles vary massively in price and someone told me to use clothes props with camo tape on but these obviously don't have the ground spikes etc. would this be a particular problem? new to pigeon shooting and any advice on this would be great. got most of my other gear camo screen etc but its the poles and flappers i'm not sure of

Hi,

I am a neewby as well so will not offer advice but just what I did... I would love "propper" poles but a bit pricey. I did a search on this forum and used the idea of electric fencing poles (which have spikes) chose some green ones.... they bend a bit and I think a bit short (I will extend mine a foot or so with bamboo). I used mine yesterday succesfully but had to keep a bit too low.

cheers Malk

thanks guys can get 4 wash poles for 15 quid on ebay and camo tape for 8.50 so fingers crossed should work

Do a search for "Wilkinsons", im sure it will bring up shedloads of info for you, if you buy on ebay you dont get to see them and have to pay postage, Wilko,s come in green and just hammer flat the bottoms to get you started. good luck.

:lol: D2D

thanks guys can get 4 wash poles for 15 quid on ebay and camo tape for 8.50 so fingers crossed should work

Do a search for "Wilkinsons", im sure it will bring up shedloads of info for you, if you buy on ebay you dont get to see them and have to pay postage, Wilko,s come in green and just hammer flat the bottoms to get you started. good luck.

thats where i got mine from.£2-99 each

Yup ... my wilkinsons has them but a little heavy if you need to carry a long distance .... if you can get near with a 4X4 (or boat !!!!!) then weight is not an issue.

Surplusandadventure.com has quite good camo nets starting at £15

I just got an old bamboo fishing rod to make a bouncer but will need to invent somome way of fixing the plastic pigeon on. I just got 18 decoys from fleabay for £20.

I'll try to take a picture of my hide in the next week or so when out next...

I bought the wilko's ones too 5 for £10, i'm in the process of making the kicker spikes from kettle irons and 1" angle. quick cut and weld and bolt into the bottom of the washing poles and hey....5 poles £10 and a pack of chocolate hob nobs for the welder :lol::lol:

i use green electric fencing poles get the high ones for deer or horses they are about £2 and they have a foot stirrup and plenty of hooks so you can set your netting at different hieghts and also they are very light .

i did not have to pay for mine as my daughters have horses and i just borrow a few, bloody horses cost me about 2k though.

plinker

Go to B & Q and buy 4/5 of the washing line pole ( very light) you can get em fo about £2 each and batter the end to a spike with a hammer, they are great for a first set of hide poles and you can either weld or bolt a set of kick plates to em later on.

i use green electric fencing poles get the high ones for deer or horses they are about £2 and they have a foot stirrup and plenty of hooks so you can set your netting at different hieghts and also they are very light .

i did not have to pay for mine as my daughters have horses and i just borrow a few, bloody horses cost me about 2k though.

plinker

That's what i use mate. They do the job. I do have a blind (no string to hook onto poles) so after a few dabs of epoxy resin and crocodile clips i had the fasteners. Top and bottom, sorted. :lol:

Yup ... my wilkinsons has them but a little heavy if you need to carry a long distance .... if you can get near with a 4X4 (or boat !!!!!) then weight is not an issue.

Surplusandadventure.com has quite good camo nets starting at £15

I just got an old bamboo fishing rod to make a bouncer but will need to invent somome way of fixing the plastic pigeon on. I just got 18 decoys from fleabay for £20.

I'll try to take a picture of my hide in the next week or so when out next...

Have you cut off the surplus on the inner pole? It doesnt sound much but every bit helps carrying over a long distance.

I originally had 'clothes line ' poles to start off with. What I did to fix them securely into the ground was to cut some wooden wedges and drill a hole into them, the same diameter as the pole. The wedges were then stamped into the ground and the poles attached.

Thats a good idea, even for "real" hide poles.

Sometimes the ground is so hard you need to hammer the poles in , but don't in case you damage them.

You could always hammer in the wedges, then put the poles in them. :D

If you don't mind spending a bit of money i would go to ############## and buy the stealth hide kit, its an great setup. We were out doin a bit of pigeon shootin the other day and happened to see a fox across the field and managed to call it within 20 yards of the hide before it realised we were there and this was in broad daylight. I Think its a great piece of kit.