MPS Debating With NE On General Licences For Controlling Wild Birds

On 22/05/2019 at 15:33, The Mighty Prawn said:

I wouldn't imagine under an FOI any personal information could not be divulged as that is breach of GDPR - you could ask how many licences were issued and in which areas, or indeed any other questions about the licences but you should not be able to get the names or addresses of anyone

How/why Met police able to get away with giving out licence holders details to the Smartwater company then, supposedly on the basis that if said product was bought security would be increased?

51 minutes ago, old man said:

How/why Met police able to get away with giving out licence holders details to the Smartwater company then, supposedly on the basis that if said product was bought security would be increased?

I must admit I’m not familiar with the story but based on the pile of GDPR training I’ve had to complete recently for work if they have passed on any ‘sensitive data’ which is anything that can be used to identify a specific person, they have committed a breach of GDPR - unless they had specific consent from the affected parties.

whether they’ve been able to use any kind of dispensation to negate that offence I don’t know, however based on my current understanding of the law anyone who has has their data passed on should complain to the police data protection officer

passing on any data is bad but data like this that would be very useful to the criminal world should be very sternly dealt with

Update, they did indeed commit an offence, it appears the enquiry is ongoing 

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/21/met_police_gun_owner_data_breach_questions/

55 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I must admit I’m not familiar with the story but based on the pile of GDPR training I’ve had to complete recently for work if they have passed on any ‘sensitive data’ which is anything that can be used to identify a specific person, they have committed a breach of GDPR - unless they had specific consent from the affected parties.

whether they’ve been able to use any kind of dispensation to negate that offence I don’t know, however based on my current understanding of the law anyone who has has their data passed on should complain to the police data protection officer

passing on any data is bad but data like this that would be very useful to the criminal world should be very sternly dealt with

Update, they did indeed commit an offence, it appears the enquiry is ongoing 

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/21/met_police_gun_owner_data_breach_questions/

Mm, April 2017 and no resolution, seems the law may not apply to the Met?

4 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Having read up a bit on it now it absolutely stinks, Smartwater set up and run by ex police and the Met have bunged over six million of business their way already - nice work if you can get it!

To be fair I've never known anywhere with the smart water systems fitted get burgled and I've had a lot of experience in that field. It is good stuff. Even the stickers in the window seem to do the job. If the fitted system is not advertised and the place is burgled its not too long before they are found as they get coated in it and every custody suite (in the met at least) has the lights as they enter. I don't think any other force had the money ( they won't now that's for sure) to invest in the detection systems. I suspect other companies exist that are similar but if the force can't easily see it then it won't get checked. 

Nobody cares about our data. When I say "our" I mean ordinary folk. And because there's money at stake, they have their reason excuse for not giving a toss about our privacy or indeed - given the data at risk -  our safety. The Met has no right whatsoever to use personal data in this way but the investigation has clearly been swept under the carpet, else how come its taken so long?

The law, in this case the GDPR only it seems applies when the government/police/establishment want it to......this scenario is a bit like the Birmingham pub bombings "you (the people) can drag ( but you have to finance it yourself) a horse (the police/government/establishment) to water (court) but you can't make it drink (reveal the truth)"

Edited by panoma1