Bsa magazine advice required

GingerCat

I have a bas mag in. 22 (red one) that's not quite indexing right. The first 3-5 pellets are ok and the rest of the mag is slightly out of alignment. 

It doesn't seem to affect accuracy (yet) but I'm worried it will wear the sides of the mag and hasten its demise. 

Are these repairable? What would it be (spring) or just worn?

Open to the masses. 

9 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I've searched with no joy hence the post. 

hello, go on the BBS air gun forum, look up a member called JonP from Bampton OXON , he did a post in 2012 on these mags, and how to sort out any problem,  not sure he is still a member but to start i have sent him a PM on your behalf, i will let you know if i hear back today,  what BSA PCP do you have ? had a R10 myself in 22 excellent rifles if they a in GWO, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Many thanks. It's an ultral xl. Ok apart from the trigger which is basic but very predictable. Has lots of knockers but I find it does thumbnail groups out to 45 metres and I don't need it to do any more. About 70 or so shots on a full tank which is more than I ever need. Cost about 350 new. Not much to complain about really and according to the stampings on barrel and action made in Birmingham. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

Many thanks. It's an ultral xl. Ok apart from the trigger which is basic but very predictable. Has lots of knockers but I find it does thumbnail groups out to 45 metres and I don't need it to do any more. About 70 or so shots on a full tank which is more than I ever need. Cost about 350 new. Not much to complain about really and according to the stampings on barrel and action made in Birmingham. 

hello, no reply on BBS or UK airgun forum, you could try Jon_Pilling@hotmail.com, i had the blue mags and never had any problems, i would take apart and fit new seal and spring if you can get one, then spray with pellet lube, let me know if Jon replies ?

51 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Many thanks pigeon popper. I will have a look got springs and a seal. Can't be that hard just wondered if anyone else had had the issue. 

hello, try U tube, i see one with the new 2 seal mag strip down guide,  there were a lot of posts on this issue with RED BSA mags on the BBS, oh i spray all my mags with LT 1 pellet oil, and leave in some tissue  until surplus soaked up, 3 in 1 if you have no other lube,   good luck

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, try U tube, i see one with the new 2 seal mag strip down guide,  there were a lot of posts on this issue with RED BSA mags on the BBS, oh i spray all my mags with LT 1 pellet oil, and leave in some tissue  until surplus soaked up, 3 in 1 if you have no other lube,   good luck

PW member Guest just put some more info and photos

Ok .so what i know of the bsa mags .They work on a wound spring (obviously) but the pellet when in a chamber rests on a small plastic stop and stops it from rotating. Probe that pellet forward and then retract the probe and the drum rotates till the next pellet rests up against the plastic stop .

The stop can get worn but this would effect every hole the same .it is possible to use narrow (or too short ) a pellet allowing the barrel hole to rotate just a touch too far .if your finding your barrel holes (with pellet in them )(including the last one ) has rotates a bit too far .you can put a slight chamfer on the barrel isually the right hand side as you look at it .the .177 has have this as standard on the last (no 1 ) hole .

You will have to remove the drum to do this .i do remember this being an issue with some .22 mags a few years ago .

Lastly dont ever wind the drum all the way round then let it go .with out any pellets. It will rotate fast and smash into the small plastic pellet stop possibly damaging it and causing the issue you describe. 

You can see the black plastic pellet stop in the hole .

IMG_20190529_221214.jpg

Oh and dont spray any type of mineral oil (3in 1 etc ) on your mag or any where near the probe ,mag well etc .

It will break down all you orings in the mag and gun making them snap or go soft and melt .

You should only put abbey sm50 inside your gun / mag .

Or near any oring .

I'm going to take it apart, have a good look and change the o rings. We what that does. It was good from new and I'm guessing worn. If not the o rings I'm thinking spring as its had no knocks and not been released when I'm loaded so shouldn't be damaged. At 40 off quid a pop it should be better then it is. Probably had less than 4 tins through it.