Best Tip

Cranfield

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's one I was told last week by an old farmer.  Sorry William, but it's not about pigeons.

This chap said that when he used to go rat shooting, you get some house bricks, some with the hollow in the top, and some with the holes.  Put the hollow topped one down first where rats run, and place some stinking cheese (such as an old camembert or stilton rind), old bacon rind or similar strong smelling food in the hollow.  Next put the holed brick over the top.  Keep coming back to look and if you get it right, the rats will stick their heads down the holes to get at the food and will be oblivious to you sneaking up on them to shoot them!

Sounds good.  Has anyone tried this?

HG reminds me of a tip, r-ol-fella gives us about foxes(you know them lovely red things..) it kinda go's like this :-

Get some stinking fish heads from the fish monger...place em in a plastic bag,stab some holes in the bag,an then bury the bag . As soon as it starts to get really "HIGH" foxes will come from miles around and try to dig it up .....

all the best

• 4 weeks later...

Best tip I ever got was how to catch rabbits without gun, trap, net, dog or hawk.

wait till its a windy night as you would for longnetting, as rabbits travel further a field, get to their warren and put wrapped up grass or take a bale of hay, wrap it tightly into a ball and push it down the hole at arms length, keep doing this till you have no more material left.

then you take a walk around the fields pushing the rabbits back to the warren, go along sticking your arm down the holes with a heavy glove on and pull out the bunnies.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Not to rekindle any arguments, but where did "Will" Charge Too Much get that little green guy holding up the double barrel.  Deako, I'm not making fun, but your "it seems I have caused you some offense" response put me in stitches.       :laugh:

Anyhow, best advice I have ever heard was probably to not eat city pigeons.  Exhaust fumes, cigarette butts and oil ridden puddles taint the meat causing severe side effects and addictions in humans     :)