CLA Game Fair

David BASC

Dear All,

You are well aware that the CLA was called off.

You may also realise that many traders had stocked up for the CLA and are now sitting on loads of kit.

I know it goes without saying- but I would urge you all to support your local traders - they need our support now more than ever.

The CLA are not giving back any refunds to traders who had booked a space- so they have lost their stand money (£1700 at least by all accounts, in many cases much more) plus the loss of revenue for the three days.

If we do not support them now they may not be around in the near future- so please do what you can.

Thanks all.

David

dont konw what to say about that apart from the met office had the weather warnnings in place.the gun shops around me new what was going to happen and had an open weekend with good offers and some sort off food and drink over that weekend and theres always sporting bum weekend.

I find it appalling that the CLA are not refunding the trade stand costs to the traders who had booked space. If this is true then

I will never go to another CLA event ..........Last time the admission I paid was around £30 for 2 adults and kids .......Nowt but an orginisation of robbing %$£*tards IMO .

David

The realism is with the age of internet shopping alot of business,s will sadly fold anyway .Soon the only thing you'll need a RFD for is to purchase a rifle and ammo :D

Dear All,

You are well aware that the CLA was called off.

You may also realise that many traders had stocked up for the CLA and are now sitting on loads of kit.

I know it goes without saying- but I would urge you all to support your local traders - they need our support now more than ever.

The CLA are not giving back any refunds to traders who had booked a space- so they have lost their stand money (£1700 at least by all accounts, in many cases much more) plus the loss of revenue for the three days.

If we do not support them now they may not be around in the near future- so please do what you can.

Thanks all.

David

I am doing my bit, I bought a 12g on Monday and I am buying a rifle combo on Saturday.

I admit I will have to take a break after this expenditure, as the operation I had to sell my kidney has really taken its toll :D

An iteresting and sober point about the trade going totally 'virtual'

I hope not (but then I am an old nostalgic sort) Love the smell of a gunshop, the atmosphere etc.

Now I am not knocking the interweb sales boys - indeed BASC takes plenty over the web - but we are surely a people based industry, and we would be poorer without our local dealer - whether he only sells face to face or if he mixes this with the interweb...

D

I don't think we will ever go totally vitual, we all need to go the shop sooner or later, ther is plenty of stuff that can't be mail ordered.

It will be the survival of the fittest, the the shops that will win out are the ones that have a have decent website as well as good shop.

Even the Sportsman has a site now - years after everyone else, but they caved in in the end :D

FWIW I still like Gamefairs, mainly because I don't get caught up in traffic and generally have a good time, unless I get soaked like this years Highclere :oops:

I wonder how many of those stall holders will simply tell the CLA to ******-off next year. They must have been insured....so why don't they pay them their money back?:D???

Seems a bit like having your cake and eating it, because the CLA will have their payout from the insurers as well as the money they got from the people who lost everything. So it would appear that they will have made twice as much which will no doubt cover the losses from the turnstiles.

I think we may well be seeing a very much reduced number of sellers at next years game fair. :oops:

G.M.

OK let me make it clear - There is no indication that any insurance policy exists. As I said, if there was one then it would have paid out and traders would have had their cash back.

Lets not get distracted- the ill feeling that some may have is understandable- the big issue for the trade is to shift their stock - lets do what we can to support the trade - many of us were probably going to the CLA- and were probably going to end up buying something-so lets go and buy it anyway!

D

I'm afraid Game Fairs nowadays represent the very best example of "Rip off Britain", with extortionate entry fees, and frequently very poor and expensive food and drink.

I simply don't bother with them any more, having to queue for an hour or so to get in is bad enough, but then to queue for a couple of hours to get out, it's just not worth it.

I sympathise with some of the genuine traders that have lost money, (but not for those hoping to charge a fiver for a manky hot-dog), but let's not forget who organises these events, "The Country Landowners Association", who are not exactly renowned for their benevolence or sympathy for the ordinary shooting man..??

Let's hope most people vote with their feet and don't attend next year, sadly I'm afraid that won't be the case, as there's always plenty of mugs ready to sign up for Double Glazing and Life Insurance at these events.

Cat.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year - no doubt there will be some fall out from all this and the end result will be the likes of the normal guy on the street feeling it in the pocket as firms try to recoup their losses.

I always try to support my local shop - a few quid saved on the internet is not worth it when I can pop down to the shop and get what I want straight away whilst providing them with much needed income. Plus I can have a natter and smell the gun oil :D Mind you I am lucky as the shop is only 5 minutes away. Without it I'd be greatly inconvenienced!

Quote from the "Sporting Shooter" website-

Traders revolt over Game Fair costs

Traders are threatening to boycott next year's CLA Game Fair unless the organisers refund their stand fees which they have already paid, after the event was cancelled due to terrible weather.

"Members of the public have had their tickets refunded, why shouldn't we get our costs back," demanded one irate trader who normally takes a large stand in gunmakers row, and has been told he won't get his stand fees back.

Traders say that they have been hit by a double-whammy, losing up to 10 per cent of their annual turnover and now having to pay for an event that didn't happen.

Looks like the CLA may have a bit of bovver getting next years show on the road, and if many of the big names don’t turn up neither will the crowds.

Maybe the CLA will have to re-think things in view of losing a hell of a lot of revenue at Blenheim……then again, maybe not.

G.M.

No doubt the CLA will point to the small print of their contract, where it would probably state that should the event be cancelled by "force majeure", i.e. things like bad weather outside of their control, they are not obliged to refund any monies already paid..?? (Mungler please help me on this one..??)

I believe they should take a reasonable approach on this disasterous state of affairs, and at least refund say, 90% of the standholders fees..??

Still, as I said earlier, don't bank on the CLA taking a reasonable stand, look what their grandads did to us poor unfortunates who poached the odd rabbit to feed our starving families a few years back................transported on a prison ship to Oz down under..!!

OK, many of you feel that would not be such a bad thing nowadays, considering how low we've sunk in the UK..?? :D:oops:

Cat.

It is certainly something to think about though, because if 90% of traders were to boycott the Game Fair next year then they will lose all that revenue next year. I stopped going to the CLA because it was starting to get bloody silly with the entry price. My first visit cost me @ £5 to get in and I believe it was £18 this year, so gawd knows how much the traders have to pay up front.

If they ain’t careful the CLA Game Fair may well be a thing of the past. :D

G.M.

The CLA Game Fair organisers are offering a 20% discount off of next years trade stand booking fee.

All traders who took space were asked to sign a contract- and there was a cancellation clause there.

All traders were offered a cancellation insurance policy for as little as £85 plus IPT

BUT - in Jan / Feb when the traders were booking and paying for their stands who would have thought the CLA would have been cancelled and when was the last time you read a contract!

A lesson learnt I suspect by many traders - we all live and learn I guess

D

Personally i think its terrible, everything to do with the countryside should be supported as much as possible, when CLA do things like this it is awful. After all without traders "The CLA Game Fair" would be nothing and wouldnt run, they should be helping and supporting the traders not ripping them off.