which fox rifle

sambo

Lets get straight to the point, go to your local firearms dealer and ask one (or 3) question "which c/f calibre do you sell the most of for what you want? Which c/f calibre do you sell the most of? Which calibre would you recommend for what you want?

You will get one answer over and over again

.243WIN

Oh pros and cons -

cheap to buy

loads available new and second hand

enough power for fox

enough power for smaller deer

ammo available everywhere

Light on recoil and noise especially with a mod

Con

Need to be very accurate as it does not give much room for error on larger species

I have got into stalking recently and have found it very enjoyable, I also have a bit of a fox problem on the farm, I shoot, there is at least 4 foxes on the land, the deer I will be shoting will mainly be munties and roe , I have now put in a application for a 243 for fox and deer, some people find it ridiculous that I am going from 22lr to 243 but the my FEO finds it ok, I have done target shooting with one and I have a DSC-1 arranged so I should have no troube getting it. The 243 is a great choice for roe and muntie and CWD should you get the chance you can also go down to 55 grain v-maxes for charlie, (dont know if you have seen how much damage they do the rounds simply rip them open), the higher up you go into the deer calibers, the lesser chance you have of getting it passed for fox, I would say that 6.5x55 is a sort of limit as to what you could get passed for fox (this is just the experience in my area though), alot of people think it is the best caliber for deer anyway :)

Steve

i thought you guys would have been more for the likes of .222 and .223 because this is what i had in mind are these not sufficient?

.240 is the minimum for deer in England, thus the next most aquirable calibre is .243 therefore is the most common. Smaller.2XX calibres are legal on Roe is scotland, don't even ask about why..........

sam yang dragon slayer 50cal precharged air rifle, 194ftpounds at the mussel. 300 grain projectile :)

I hope thats a joke, to shoot deer legaly in England the rifle must generate 1700ftlbs. This is due to change shortly for muntjack and CWD but even then it will still be a minimum of 1000ftlbs in CF.22.

According to Home Offce Guidelins on fire arms 6.5 can be granted for fox but only in particularly windy areas other wise routinely .243 is the largest they will grant just for fox. That is not to say that you cant have 30cal that allows you to shoot fox but you wont be granted the rifle to shoot fox and nothing else.

If it is fox and roe I would recomend .243 if you intend regularly shooting the larger species you might want to think about the 6.5 or the 308.

I am in that predicament at the moment, the deer I stalk with my .243 are all roe. I am looking to have a go at the reds and fallow and although the .243 will do the job I am considering getting a .308 because I am sure it will put them down a little bit faster and harder.

Dave

My FEO gave me a .243 for Fox & Deer - granted for each and not just occasional

243win will do exacly what you require for deer and can easily drop a fox at 300yrds

but i also agree with devilishdave above - 308 is a cracking round for big stags

wht not ask your FEO for a 22-250 for fox, 243 for the smaller deer and a 308 for large deer- well in a perfect world thats what i would have (and will be having soon i hope, ticket going in next week for a variation :) )

Just my 2 pence worth on the matter anyhow

My FEO gave me a .243 for Fox & Deer - granted for each and not just occasional

243win will do exacly what you require for deer and can easily drop a fox at 300yrds

but i also agree with devilishdave above - 308 is a cracking round for big stags

wht not ask your FEO for a 22-250 for fox, 243 for the smaller deer and a 308 for large deer- well in a perfect world thats what i would have (and will be having soon i hope, ticket going in next week for a variation :) )

Just my 2 pence worth on the matter anyhow

well that is along the lines i was thinking 22-250, 222 or 223 for fox/ roe in scotland and 243 or 260 for the larger deer

If you can 'show good cause' that you need a .243 for deer, then I can not see any reason why you would also

want a .22-250 for fox?? Just have fox and deer placed under the .243 and save yourself a lot of money. After all, a .243

can do everything a .22-250 can do....just faster and with heavier bullets.

First of all you need to decide what species of deer you wish to stalk. Once you have decided that you can then decide

which caliber(s) would be best suited for the purpose.

For what it's worth I agree entirely with Devilishdave. .243 for fox and small deer (Munty/Roe/CWD). Larger caliber

for Fallow/Red/Sika. (My personal choice is .270, but Daves recommendation of .308 is also spot on)