FAC Rated

pavman

OK gents

Just got my FAC for a .22 Air Rifle for a bunnies permission I have (not suitable for full FAC)

Am now searcing for a nice clean second hand pre charged set up at around 35-40 Ft/Lbs

any advise on whats good or wisdom of what to avoid welcome, I have a reasonable budget but not looking to go mad

thanks

i had the s400 extra and in my opinion a great rifle,i could shoot maggies at 90 metres. no doubt the theoben men will be on singing their praises but i dont rate them at all. i recently bought a hw100 in fac fair enough i had to send it back over a small issue. the daystate is another great fac contender, all i can say is yes theoben have a bigger shot count but the others are every bit as good in my opinion better at a lot less money. my choice would be the x2 daystate or hw100 both great guns.

oi oi theobens are great ;) you prob just got a dud ;)

im very impressed with my air ranger, i think daystate can set them up to about 50ft in .22

i got mine secondhand from small ad's for £800 good deal i think ;)

never had a theoben i would nt take the gift of one,design has nt changed in near 20 years but they will charge you to screw cut a barrel,somethiing every other maker does for free.its time they tried something new

at that rate we d still be driving allegroes .everything else evolves with technology why not airguns, my point being if theoben is happy with the if it ain t broke dont fix it attitude the competitors will overtake and in my opinion have. look at the hft and ft results how often do you see theoben mentioned. i rest my case

, my point being if theoben is happy with the if it ain t broke dont fix it attitude the competitors will overtake and in my opinion have. look at the hft and ft results how often do you see theoben mentioned. i rest my case

Why have they not been left behind yet then, after nearly 17 years with "the same design"?

Bear in mind they made the first rapid 7 in 1989 I think it was. i.e. the first multi-shot pcp. They paved the way for the multi-shot revolution, and as for a design that has not changed , mark 1, mark 2, mfr, s-type, tactical,etc etc etc. we have a lot to thank them for.

When was the last time you heard of a Super 10 win any hft prizes? Does that mean that they cannot go pellet on pellet?

Rapids are and have always been awsome rifles, some people don't like them (me included, having owned one, and speaking from experience), but you can never say a rifle that capable is out of date. Accurate is accurate, age has no bearing on that fact, end of story.

To get the topic back on rail ;)

Pavman you won't go far wrong with the AAS410.

There are plenty of others as good if not better but IMHO for all round performance, price, reliability (and those lovely 10 pellet mags) you can't go wrong.

Before the BBS bandits jump I do not have a AAS410 ;)

LB

I think the FAC thing agains goes to preference and personal requirements. If I was looking to go for FAC, it would come down to 3 things:

1.Reliability

2. Consisitancy

3. Shot count.

The 3rd one is often overlooked matey, remember you are using a shed load more air when you hike up the power, most standard length rifle will only hold enough air for about 30-40 shots at FAC levels.

I think the FAC thing agains goes to preference and personal requirements. If I was looking to go for FAC, it would come down to 3 things:

1.Reliability

2. Consisitancy

3. Shot count.

The 3rd one is often overlooked matey, remember you are using a shed load more air when you hike up the power, most standard length rifle will only hold enough air for about 30-40 shots at FAC levels.

depends WHO and how the power is "hiked up" I have two fac air guns a 30ftlb rapid that I recharge after 72 shots it will do more but no point, and 40ftlb rapid that I recharge after 55 shots more than enough for a bunny session, as usually one shot = one dead bunny.both my guns have 19" barrels 400cc cylinders, so are of "normal"length and balance,

cheers KW

at that rate we d still be driving allegroes .everything else evolves with technology why not airguns, my point being if theoben is happy with the if it ain t broke dont fix it attitude the competitors will overtake and in my opinion have. look at the hft and ft results how often do you see theoben mentioned. i rest my case

so this is where Land Rover have gone wrong, now i understand

pavman

IMO go either Daystate or an older Theoben Rapid already FAC, you are in a buyers market S/H FAC air rifles have a limited market and some great bargains can be had

TP

1.Reliability

2. Consisitancy

3. Shot count.

depends WHO and how the power is "hiked up" I have two fac air guns a 30ftlb rapid that I recharge after 72 shots it will do more but no point, and 40ftlb rapid that I recharge after 55 shots more than enough for a bunny session, as usually one shot = one dead bunny.both my guns have 19" barrels 400cc cylinders, so are of "normal"length and balance,

cheers KW

The "normal"l I was referring to was the s410, daystate mk3 etc type resevoir, hence my point no.3 on the shot count. Clearly a 400cc bottle is going to give more shots than, say, a 90cc resevoir. Sorry mate, thats my fault by not making what I was saying clear. ;)

"hiked up". Obviously Joe Numbnuts is not going to up the power in his shed, unless he is an idiot. I would have thought this went without saying. ;)

And I would agree that 55 shots at FAC is more than enough. I was stating that for me 35 shots would not be enough, I like to check zero before going out and shoot a good few targets before I start hunting, so if I had 35 shots on tap, I'd use say 20-25 zeroing&targets, leaving about 10 shots left. For me personally, I would feel that 10 is a little low.

Cheers Stinks.

cheers KW

I know a guy who runs a pest control firm, he has a 30 ft/lb rapid but says he only gets around 40 shots :blush:

If it were me buying FAC, i'd probably go for the AA 410 Extra as every AA rifle i've handled has fit me very well and it ticks all the right boxes.

As a good mate of mine would say = its instant coffee - does what it says on the tin :blush:

Guys some very useful info, thanks :blush:

Now, not wanting to splash out and then upgrade a suitable rifle only to see the value drop the minuet I do it, how do I go about getting one?

I have phoned all the gun smiths round about and the only one available is the one I looked at a while back a single shot under lever Theoben gas ram double crank to get 28ft lbs, seller was going to add a nice scope and lamp and do a swap for my Raptor semi auto.

On advise I agree I would be best to get a pre charged with a mag, my permission is small but open and best approach would be to lie up under some cover and pick them off at about 50 to 60 yards, cranking the unit would create a disturbance, and add time between shots

Any ideas who I can contact ? I don’t mind a bit of a drive for the right kit, ideally get the lot in one go.

once again thanks

pavman

fac air then only one way to go, and thats a rapid, as for hft etc? not many fac guns used there ? fac is for hunting and a rapid is built for hunting end of?

cheers KW

Totaly agrre :blush: I got mine from BBS S/Hand Total set up inc Divers Bottle and spare mag ( Rapid MK1) for under £450.00 Bargain.

fac air then only one way to go, and thats a rapid, as for hft etc? not many fac guns used there ? fac is for hunting and a rapid is built for hunting end of?

cheers KW

Totaly agrre :blush: I got mine from BBS S/Hand Total set up inc Divers Bottle and spare mag ( Rapid MK1) for under £450.00 Bargain.

Blimey thats mint!

I keep getting told FAC is cheap as chips yet all the contacts made so far are £650 to £850 just for the rifle :blush: also lots of differing opinions as to up rated units like the (AA S410) as opposed to the S410 Xtra FAC built, same sort of dilema on the Theobens

Is an up rated version of a 12ft lbs model OK? or should I go for FAC built,

cheers KW

Blimey thats mint!

I keep getting told FAC is cheap as chips yet all the contacts made so far are £650 to £850 just for the rifle :blush: also lots of differing opinions as to up rated units like the (AA S410) as opposed to the S410 Xtra FAC built, same sort of dilema on the Theobens

Pav,

Ring up Youngman sporting guns, 01493 859814.

You buy a new a AA s410 for about £450.00, They will FAC rate it back at the factory for around £70.00. Max is about 40 ft pounds. It will come back stamped up as FAC on the the action as well.

He has all the optics, throw in some night vision, bipod,sling a few mags, diving cylinder all for about 1400-1500 quid.

I don't want to hear none of this 'shooter on a budget nonesense either'

Regards starlight32

I've always been told that the components in a normal 12ft/lbs rifle cannot handle the strain and pressure that comes with uprating to FAC levels - very unsafe :blush:

If your dead set on going FAC I'd buy a rifle that was built for that purpose, merely my opinion you understand :blush: