New O/U shotty- Any ideas?

Ferretboy111

Hello,

Been working my socks off over harvest and am slowly getting some money in. Was thinking to myself, what do i usually do when i get some money in....... Buy a gun.

At the moment i have a lanber 12bore, o/u, shoot ok with it, but it doesnt fit me and has a DIY insulation tape and cardboard bridge, and the action isnt that smooth.

Anyway, Am planning on buying a gun that will last me out, as it were. I shoot mainly game/vermin and a very very very small amount of clays each year.

I have around a £700 top end mark to spend and want a O/U that isnt a Beretta as i would care to be alittle different, even though i shoot well with them.

Havent really shot that many other makes of guns before, and obvioulsy i will try out a few guns when i get to the shop, but am just thinking if anyone had any suggestions for me or recommendations?

Am liking the Franchi Harrier at the present moment.

Many thanks

Alex

As you could probably predict, i would say a beretta as i purchased one not so long ago in your prize range. They would always "last you out" unless an accident was to happen and you shot well with my 686 at the rabbits the other night!

If you really want something different then browning or miroku would be the choice for me as i have heard good things about them. Never shot one mind!

You should come along with me and jamie to radcliffs when we go to get mine fitted and have a feel of a few. It will be one sat morning coming up, this weekend or next i reckon.

Why be different? If so many people (myself included) shoot Berettas, they must be good! Try a few before you buy, the reason I say this is because I can't shoot a Browning or Miroku no matter how hard I try. I'd put the Franchi in the same class as what you have now, so I wouldn't bother with that. I assume you have no interest in an auto, maybe you're a bit of a traditional type? I'd put your price range into guntrader, just to see what comes up.

the miroku models are ads follows

mk38 is the sporter of the range with back bored barrels in trap or sporting with fixed chokes or teagues. this gun will have the wider rib as standard and will be a lot heavier than the game models.

mk70 available in game or sporter with standard invector (short) chokes

or the mk60 which is fixed choke game or sporter (1/4 3/4)

for mainly game and vermin my own personal choice of these would be the mk60, however if you feel multi chokes would benefit your different types of shooting then the other models will be fine. you can pick very tidy examples of all these for £700.

hope this helps.

You should be able to get a really good MK38 grade 1 for that sort of money - cracking gun with multi-choke, you'll not need another for quite some time.

i now own a MK38 Grade 5 - 32" multi-choke ( with an Alan Rhone adjustable comb riser), but had a grade 1 a while back ( thats what made me upgrade to the higher spec ) and a nicer gun you cannot find in my opinion - yes they are a little bit hevier than most sporters, but the wieght takes the recoil away - so where you may lose with wieght you gain with reduced recoil.

and just remember that Browning and Miroku are the same company now!!!!

Try Here for a fixed choke version - http://www.ukgunroom.com/viewGun.jsp?id=2779

or there are loads here in your price range - http://www.bateofengland.co.uk/shotguns-2.htm

just scroll down to look at the prices, if you add £150 to your money they are selling a brand new for �850- Normal Retail is about £1200.

Cheers for the comments guys, dont want an auto, i have a 3 shot pump for vermin, a cracking pigeon gun.

Just want a gun i can use well for everything, and especially game, as no one wants to see an auto out in the game field.

Mk38 sounding good at the moment, i shall keep my eyes open.

Alex

I started off with a Beretta 687, was never happy with the fit, tried loads of guns including an expensive Beretta DT10, the one gun that fitted me just fine was a Miroku MK38 Teague sporter, absolutely perfect, kept my Beretta for 5 months just in case the Miroku did not suit, never used the Beretta again and it is now long gone and the Miroku is still fab, good value for money.

Hi FB, you have lots of sound advice here now ..... suggest you go try some and get a feel for them before you buy. Don't forget to tell us how your trials go and what you finally chose. For the record my Miroku is a 600 made in the old way but the later models mentioned by others are top guns. It is vital your gun fits and suits you whatever make or model.

cheers

Malk

i would go for the browning, miroku, or beretta. i would forget about the rest. i personally greatly prefer the beretta and the reasons are as follows:

1-first and foremost my beretta 687 silver pigeon fits me. this of course is a purely individual thing.

2-the beretta is easy to maintain. the butt stock comes off easy using a beretta stock wrench, and the ejectors can be remove by hand without tools for cleaning and maint.

3-the guns are rebuildable in that you can as time goes buy replace various parts (conical locking lugs, the little disk/cam that the barrels pivot etc.

the above three guns represent great quality for the money. they are not the cheapest, but they are all obtainable for a working man and they are all very durable workhorses suitable for game or clays.

You have a few quid to spend and so can afford to get something half tidy.

Give the franchis, bettinsolis, lanbers etc a swerve.

Miroku as Gordon suggests or second hand Browning.

My own view would be to get a Beretta, but there we go.

I bought a second hand Miroku Mk60 F/C as my first gun. Nicely weighted, but the fact that it had a Miroku standard hard plastic recoil pad meant that it didn't soak up any of the recoil.

Consequently I chopped it for a second hand Beretta 682 Gold with a lovely Pachmayr pad.

Probably the best thing i ever did.

As a final point buy a good make secondhand (Miroku, Browning, Beretta) and you'll break even if you have to swap it.

A pal of mine shoots a Beretta 686s 15yr old. He went to a shop to ask what he'd get Part ex against a newer Beretta they said £550 as they could sell them all day for that price!!!

In your price range I would only have one choice, and that would be a Winchester Select. You can get many different versions now along with one with a nice black action.

You could pick up a second hand one for about 500, or a new one for about 700.

I'd back up the Miroku 3800 suggestion. I've got one - cost me £775 earlier this year but with a gunslip and some other accessories thrown in and a 50 bird try out session before I paid.

It's quite heavy, but then I prefer a heavier to a lighter gun.

38s are good too and if you shop around I don't think you'll have trouble finding a good one for £700.