A Question - FAC Application

Mungler

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too keen on the DSC route but I understand that the DSC opens shooting doors.

Our of interest who did you do your course with and what was the damage? Also what were the people like - was it a pleasant time or a slog?

Mung. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you should need a DSC1 cert to get an FAC for .22 centrefire.

DSC1 is a deer stalking cert, and therefore could only be asked for if you were looking at deer calibers (.240 or above at the moment in England)

BASC would have a field day if your FEO put that limitation on you.

If you can show 'good reason' to own a .22 centrefire round for foxes i.e. Written permission from a landowner that has land passed, or will pass, for

that caliber then you should be OK. You already have SGC so that will help.

Go for it and see what they come back with, they're not as scary as some people make out.

Got my 17.hmr for close range foxes aswell as rabbits, i reapplied 6 months later and have a .223 aswell.

Me being a gamekeeper sped that all along a bit.

Alex

Just out of interest, which do you prefer and which gets the most practical use? For example, I could see how people would "prefer" using a .223 as a much better tool for many diferent jobs, but I would have thought that day to day a fully silenced .22 semi auto would be the one that would get the most use.

Hi Mungler, If I were you I would forget the CF for a while until you have gained some experience and go for a .22 semi, only downside is that they are not as accurate as a bolt over distance but deadly for night use on the bunnies, also its not so fiddly, as having to work a bolt each shot,with a 10 shot mag in the back of a truck. With a modded semi it is entirely possible to take out several rabbits quickly before they realise whats going on and all run for cover.

I have sometimes encountered a fox while out rabbiting and an advantage with the semi is that you can squeeze off another shot in the blink of an eye to be sure. but I would not advise taking long shots with a semi.This is why Im now looking for a good bolt action.

Hope this makes sense and helps you in your decision.

:lol: D2D

NJC110381,

Just to throw a spanner into your works Gloucestershire don't like going down the mentor route. They prefer you to have or get experience then apply for the gun. So they would like you to go out for a few months with your mentor and use his gun. If you can then evidence this then you won't need mentoring with your own gun.

Thats what I was told anyway.

Harry

I've already done a bit of that. I'm getting to the point that I'd like to have my own gun to take along as well, because I feel a bit rude when I keep raiding my mates Rifles and ammo! It also means I have to use a rifle that's set up for a left handed shooter, so my groups are not perfect :lol:

Not too keen on the DSC route but I understand that the DSC opens shooting doors.

Our of interest who did you do your course with and what was the damage? Also what were the people like - was it a pleasant time or a slog?

I did the course with Donnington Deer Management at Donnigton Deer Park, The guys name was David Stretton.

There was a real mix of people, some complete novices but, there was a few guys there who had been managing deer for 15-20 years (one of which was good enough to let me try his Sauer 202 elegance, which was nice!)

The tutors and assessors were a good bunch who were happy to answer any questions you had and tried to lead you in the right direction during the assessments, without compromising themselves.

I only did the one day course for the certificate at £150 but you can do 3 days for all the theory and practical lessons aswell.

They sent me a folder to revise from 4 weeks before and providing you take everything in(obviously it helped having practical knowledge), the tests were straight forward.

I realise you are not applying for deer calibres but, you could always go for a 243 to give you the option later on.

Regarding the FEO visit, it's good to show them you know what you are talking about but, be careful you don't talk yourself out of it. I waited for the questions to come and then provided the answers, any questions I had for him I asked when he had finished.

I also found the BASC firearms dept very helpful, the FEO will ask if you're a member of any clubs or organisations so, have your membership details ready if you are.

Whatever you decide, the best of luck to you.

Moses :lol:

Just out of interest what are the "usual questions".

The SGC questions all seemed to be based upon the simple concepts of:

1. not crossing a fence or gate with a loaded shotty

2. not stuff a 20g down a 12g barrel

That was pretty much it.

Should I do any swatting up and if so where?

Would watching the Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket again help at all?

Mung, if you haven't already found a copy, check out the Home Office Guidance to Police, regarding firearms licencing. It'll cover what is and is not acceptable in terms of 'good reason', which is what a lot of your FAC interview will focus on.

The FEO will want to know how much you know about the safe use of rifles (backdrops, ricochets, proximity to built-up areas), your experience of shooting to date, why you want these specific calibres etc. I remember being grilled on which local FAC holders that I knew and/or shot with.

If you haven't already done so, make sure that one your FAC application you list any moderators and expanding ammunition that you'll need.

Mung, if you haven't already found a copy, check out the Home Office Guidance to Police, regarding firearms licencing. It'll cover what is and is not acceptable in terms of 'good reason', which is what a lot of your FAC interview will focus on.

The FEO will want to know how much you know about the safe use of rifles (backdrops, ricochets, proximity to built-up areas), your experience of shooting to date, why you want these specific calibres etc. I remember being grilled on which local FAC holders that I knew and/or shot with.

If you haven't already done so, make sure that one your FAC application you list any moderators and expanding ammunition that you'll need.

Ta for that.

I did try and get the Home Office guidance booklet but it wouldn't open (said corrupted file).

If anyone has a link to a working version that would be lovely.

M

Ta for that.

I did try and get the Home Office guidance booklet but it wouldn't open (said corrupted file).

You can get everything you need off the BASC website, go to the firearms dept.

Moses

M

Ta for that.

M

The government have hosed the online copy, the silly little ****. However I like to keep this little puppy handy for such eventualities. It's actually written in "Solicitor" so you should imbibe it quickly :lol:

Ta for that.

M

The government have hosed the online copy, the silly little ****. However I like to keep this little puppy handy for such eventualities. It's actually written in "Solicitor" so you should imbibe it quickly :lol:

Nice one, Ill have one of those :lol:

M

For some reason the links are no longer working :lol:

I have it on my pc as a pdf file ( I'm not on my pc at the mo ), if you want pm me an email addy to which I can send it :lol:

I sometimes feel we are living on different planets, as I applied for my first FA `cert in `00 and wasn`t asked if I had a DSC or mentor and the land was never queried/visited for suitibility for .22 and .222, within a year my .22 ammo was uprated as I had filled my certificate ammo bought section up.

5 years later I asked for and received an extra rifle and mods for both CF`s even though I had been on happy pills for a while :lol: and my 6.5 & .222 are passed for fox and deer !

Chance your arm and go for many firearms :lol:

I have gone for Section 1 shotgun, .22RF with mod and .223 centrefire with mod.

I have asked for maximum ammo allowances etc.

My own view is if I get 1/3 of what I have asked for then that will do me.

I would be intrigued if there was a land restriction or otherwise on the shotty.

We shall see.

From what I have learnt on here it's a numbers game - if you ask and don't get, then be grateful for what you do get, give it 6 months of clean shooting and then ask again.

Bit of a trudge but there we go...

I hadn't read pins post so just ignore this :o :P:lol:

M

For some reason the links are no longer working :lol:

I have it on my pc as a pdf file ( I'm not on my pc at the mo ), if you want pm me an email addy to which I can send it :lol:

Ta for that.

M

Do you think it's been scuppered on purpose??

I thought that this may provide usefull, its from the guidance to police, via the BASC web site.

webber

Fox

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered

suitable for the shooting of foxes range from

.17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250

and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range

of suitable similar calibres commercially

available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets

aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to

use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes

they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or

6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally

too low-powered to be used against fox

except at short range, but may reasonably be

permitted for use against such quarry in

certain circumstances. However, sole use

against fox would not normally be sufficient

“good reason†to acquire such a rifle (see

paragraph 13.15). Combination shot gun/rifles

should have the rifled barrel in a similar

calibre. Expanding ammunition should be

authorised for shooting foxes. Those involved

in shooting foxes will normally be authorised

to possess up to 250 rounds and acquire 200

at any given time, but consideration should

though be given to each shooter’s individual

circumstances, particularly where re-loaders are

acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.14 on

allowing applicant’s flexibility to reasonably

shoot other species on named land.

13.24 It is desirable that new applicants

should have some previous experience

of the safe use of firearms before using

such rifles.

I have gone for Section 1 shotgun, .22RF with mod and .223 centrefire with mod.

I have asked for maximum ammo allowances etc.

My own view is if I get 1/3 of what I have asked for then that will do me.

I would be intrigued if there was a land restriction or otherwise on the shotty.

We shall see.

From what I have learnt on here it's a numbers game - if you ask and don't get, then be grateful for what you do get, give it 6 months of clean shooting and then ask again.

Bit of a trudge but there we go...

I have two section 1 12g and there are no land restrictions, mind you I had them before the rules were tightened up. :lol:

If you use it for pigeon control/crop protection and state that as your reason for having having it then they cant really put any

geographical limits on the use.

As you say if you dont ask you wont get... good luck.

:lol: D2D