Money saving due to isolation

Davyo

Dont know about yourselves but it making me think about the money both myself and my wife have been wasting.

I've been on 12 week isolation since last Tuesday and working from home.However my wife (retired teacher) is complying and also self isolating.

So no fuel going in the cars as topped up before I was sent home from work.Susans not having her daily meet up with x staff or friends for coffee and cakes.She usually spends on average £10/£20 a day doing this as well as fuel.

We cant get any shopping in other that her popping up to the small co op for what ever is left.So nothing really getting spent their.Me I'm usually spending my money on fuel as like a long drive on a weekend & drive out every evening after work.No fishing and no cycling so I haven't spent a penny since last Wednesday.

I have only been out twice,once for some milk at 6.30am and again last night I went for a late night drive over the Durham dales at 11pm & got back at 1am.

Really glad the weather is picking up as I can get in the garage and garden.Hope you are all keeping safe and take care.

Edited by Davyo

Those f us that are lucky enough to be being paid and not laid off through this may save a few quid but it won't be so good for a lot of people.

I can't see I will save a lot as I still have to get to work and don't go to the pub etc more the half a dozen times a year any way. May be just save a bit on the odd take away and as the roads are clearer the mpg should be better. 

I developed symptoms last night so I’m now stuck at home for at least a week. That’ll be £60 in diesel saved and probably £25-30 on the bits & bobs I get daily before work. We’ve also started to really focus on portion sizes and food waste (not that much was chucked away beforehand), so hopefully that’ll save a few pennies in the long run too. The freezer is full of meat already, we’ve got plenty of tinned & dried stuff to use and both of us are competent cooks so we won’t starve or have to get takeaways. 

Fortunately I’m on full pay for as long as I’m off, so it won’t impact me. The missus, however, also started showing symptoms last night but her job only gives her 5 days without pay then onto statutory sick pay (a week of which is much less than a single day’s pay for her). Fingers crossed the savings will balance up anything that she loses by not being in. 

Edited by Bumble

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

I developed symptoms last night so I’m now stuck at home for at least a week. That’ll be £60 in diesel saved and probably £25-30 on the bits & bobs I get daily before work. We’ve also started to really focus on portion sizes and food waste (not that much was chucked away beforehand), so hopefully that’ll save a few pennies in the long run too. The freezer is full of meat already, we’ve got plenty of tinned & dried stuff to use and both of us are competent cooks so we won’t starve or have to get takeaways. 

Fortunately I’m on full pay for as long as I’m off, so it won’t impact me. The missus, however, also started showing symptoms last night but her job only gives her 5 days without pay then onto statutory sick pay (a week of which is much less than a single day’s pay for her). Fingers crossed the savings will balance up anything that she loses by not being in. 

Government will pay 80% of your Mrs wages 👍🏻👍🏻

1 hour ago, henry d said:

You are self isolating and going out shopping

Wife pops out either early or late for something for us to eat.We have nothing in as we usually eat out every evening.We never do a weekly shop so had nothing in but a loaf,coffee and some cheese and biscuits.I set up an account with ASDA Tuesday night.Earliest delivery will be 02/04/20 so have no option than to pop out unfortunately.