Beretta 303

Eggo

Hi Guy’s

I’m new to PW so looking for some good advice please. I am looking at purchasing a Beretta 303 to use for skeet and sporting but I can’t find much information on the gun itself. There are lots of guns for sale described as field, game, sport, trap and special trap but does anyone have an in-depth knowledge as to what’s the difference with each model please?  I used to own a 391 Urika2 and shot quite well with it but sold it two years ago and now looking for another semi-auto, I know the 303 has a different gas system to the 391 but reports say they are a softer shooting and in some opinions a all round better shooting gun. 

Any help and information will be much appreciated.

Cheers Eggo

I had an A303 sporter, m/c with a 30" barrel. It would cycle 24g and up so long as it was in a 70mm case. 

I think had it been a bit lighter I would have kept it but I used to use it as a rough gun too and it used to burn my arms out walking the perms with it. Chucked steel through it with no ill effects. 

I only gave a couple hundred quid for mine about 2 1/2 years ago but the prices are creeping up to the point where I've seen them adverted for close to £500. As good of a gun as they are I wouldn't part with that sort of money for one when you look at what else is on offer.

24 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Thanks for that Farmboy91, it seems £300-£500 is what they are going for at the moment but I didn’t know if that depended on the model or the condition, I suspect it’s the condition!!!

Cheers Eggo

No worries 👍

I would have said £500 is on condition too, for me now even to pay £300 it would have to be a pretty good deal. I brought a Franchi affinity earlier in the year and paid just over £600 and it comes with a 7 year warranty, that's why id struggle to pay top end money on an old gun.

£300 puts you in the new armsan 612 and stoeger peregrine price range, both of which have got good reviews. There's so much choice out there now from £300 all of which offers you 3" chambers and steel proof and a warranty. 

I'm not knocking the A303 in any way, they are good guns, just getting on a bit now.

I'm pretty sure @ditchman has one with a short barrel? 

28 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

No worries 👍

I would have said £500 is on condition too, for me now even to pay £300 it would have to be a pretty good deal. I brought a Franchi affinity earlier in the year and paid just over £600 and it comes with a 7 year warranty, that's why id struggle to pay top end money on an old gun.

£300 puts you in the new armsan 612 and stoeger peregrine price range, both of which have got good reviews. There's so much choice out there now from £300 all of which offers you 3" chambers and steel proof and a warranty. 

I'm not knocking the A303 in any way, they are good guns, just getting on a bit now.

I'm pretty sure @ditchman has one with a short barrel? 

had mine since new.........some of the blueing is wearing off now ..it is a 26" version (like hens teeth)......it will cycle 24gm but will jam up sometimes on that weight of cartridge......

as farmboy says they are getting on a bit now ...mine is an A303 and they are bombproof...i clean mine out with a petrol desiel mix then wipe it down and sprinkle graphite powder in the slide...it is multi choke and a superb hide gun...never worry about it getting clarted up with mud and stuff...

i like the 26" as it is smoother to swing.....i never use anything tighter than 1/4 choke.....28gm #7's.........

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

had mine since new.........some of the blueing is wearing off now ..it is a 26" version (like hens teeth)......it will cycle 24gm but will jam up sometimes on that weight of cartridge......

as farmboy says they are getting on a bit now ...mine is an A303 and they are bombproof...i clean mine out with a petrol desiel mix then wipe it down and sprinkle graphite powder in the slide...it is multi choke and a superb hide gun...never worry about it getting clarted up with mud and stuff...

i like the 26" as it is smoother to swing.....i never use anything tighter than 1/4 choke.....28gm #7's.........

Is yours a 2 3/4" or a 3"? 

I think if I could of gotten hold of a 26" barrel I'd have been more tempted to keep mine. 

There’s a 26’’ complete with 3 chokes for sale £395 in North Yorkshire.

i agree with ditchman that the 26’’ would be smoother in the swing and ideal for skeet, set up with an open choke. Not sure if it’s a trap, field or sport until I email the shop and get a reply, still not sure what the differences there are between the models though...

35 minutes ago, Eggo said:

There’s a 26’’ complete with 3 chokes for sale £395 in North Yorkshire.

i agree with ditchman that the 26’’ would be smoother in the swing and ideal for skeet, set up with an open choke. Not sure if it’s a trap, field or sport until I email the shop and get a reply, still not sure what the differences there are between the models though...

hello, where was that advertised ? is that on Gunstar/ Davey and son? it would not be for trap shooting, ideal skeet with open chokes or sporter more choke

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hi oldpigeonpopper, yes it is Davey and son. It as the plain action so not sure what model It is unless it is a sport . What do you think to the price? Always difficult to judge without seeing the actual gun though.

8 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Hi oldpigeonpopper, yes it is Davey and son. It as the plain action so not sure what model It is unless it is a sport . What do you think to the price? Always difficult to judge without seeing the actual gun though.

if it is in good condition...that is a reasonable price............i have seen engraved berettas   but that was the basic fixed choke model 303.

28 minutes ago, Eggo said:

hello, i could not see any photos but £400 about right for a trade deal, is it cased as well? i am looking at a Outlander with 26 barrels but private sale

I’ve got a very rare one , and I’ve never seen another, it’s a fabulous thing , I don’t find it heavy at all but it is a field model , I really don’t like the grip on the sporters and I’ve had several of the 300 series

im fussy when I buy guns and really only look for mint ones

had a 301, 2 or 3 302’s half a dozen or more 303’s including a 20bore , had later 391’s but the simplistic 303 is as good as it gets

The only one I have now is a 303 field deluxe with a 28” 3” magnum barrel and yes it’s in mint condition 

not for sale though 

In my opinion, the 303 is probably the best gun Beretta ever made and I have owned several other semi auto's by several manufacturers as well as Beretta later models. I used a 391 for years for Instruction purposes, but that was because of the fact it would cycle any cartridges, even some 21 gram. It was a pain to clean it though, too many needless valves etc. I now use a 303 for most of my clay shooting, due to a knackered right shoulder, although I do not shoot DTL with it. It is a 28" barrel Sporter model, which is also in mint condition. I use a Briley extended 1/4 choke in it for everything.  It will cycle 24 gram Cheddite Trap cartridges, but I tend to use a 28 gram load. I recently bought a scrap 300 (the original model). I bought it to use the woodwork on my 303,  if I was going pigeon shooting. I have now managed to rebuild the 300 and it came with a 303 28" mobil choked  barrel on it. I just need to test fire it now, but I refuse to go out to test a gun in the current lockdown situation. 

Hi sishyplops, it seems like good ones are hard to come by, l suppose in the current pandemic that we are in it gives me some time to do some more research. I quiet like the plain action model, am I right in assuming this is the sporter ? I also have the same mind set as you, if I am going to buy something it has to be good quality. 

Great photo by the way.

cheers Eggo

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Beretta 303 gas operated semi auto,  you will need to decide on length of barrel and chokes as skeet and sporting require different set ups,

Not necessarily. There is no reason why it couldn't be a "do all" gun.

7 hours ago, motty said:

Not necessarily. There is no reason why it couldn't be a "do all" gun.

hello, your right motty i was only going on what is termed skeet and sporting barrel lengths and chokes, before the advantage of interchangeable chokes it was only fixed where in clay pigeon shooting you had shotgun bored to the discipline you were shooting, i remember some i knew had spare barrels, a very good skeet shooter had a Miroku skeet and used as a pigeon gun, the 303 in question with interchangeable chokes is an ideal do all gun,

On 13/04/2020 at 23:04, Eggo said:

Hi sishyplops, it seems like good ones are hard to come by, l suppose in the current pandemic that we are in it gives me some time to do some more research. I quiet like the plain action model, am I right in assuming this is the sporter ? I also have the same mind set as you, if I am going to buy something it has to be good quality. 

Great photo by the way.

cheers Eggo

From what I’ve had and seen they are a bit all over the place seen some plain sporters and some engraved with swirl type pattern, I’ve not seen a standard 303 field , mine which is as mentioned a deluxe version, it has much nicer wood but I find the forend a bit clumpy and much prefer the sporter forends as they are slimmer , I’d like a 30” multichoke barrel for it if anyone is selling one 

E7E0B151-2330-404A-A047-99F5B635FD19.jpeg