Cartridge reloading machine recommendations.

I have no experience whatsoever of reloading shotgun cartridges, but use a lot of 20 guage Hushpower subsonic cartridges for pest control and I  need a good quality, efficient machine for the job to save on the cost of buying Hushpower cartridges.

I had a MEC 9000GN in mind, but any replies which recommend a good machine would be much appreciated.

IF you go down the MEC route - the best "basic" machine is the SIZEMASTER - they use a much better sizer design which can be adjusted to increase/decrease "brass" dia.
You can also get caliber conversion kits, so again, IF you find a used 12-ga base model Sizemaster for cheap, esp. if it needs some TLC due to age or missing parts, that could be a cheaper way to get a working 20-ga press

Or, for a more Rolls-Royce shotshell press, look at getting a Ponsness Warren 375C - but make sure it IS the "C" model as this version features the better taper crimp design of die assembly

BUT - whatever press you get, also make sure you get a CASE GAUGE for checking that the sizing is dialled in & the finished shells will chamber

Check the presses out on YouTube

35 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you can get a second hand MEC from the States that would be the cheapest way to get set up for 20 Bore loading.

Ah, not sure how to go about that ? I bought my Shotkam over there but that was new and customs and VAT on top.

10 minutes ago, saddler said:

IF you go down the MEC route - the best "basic" machine is the SIZEMASTER - they use a much better sizer design which can be adjusted to increase/decrease "brass" dia.
You can also get caliber conversion kits, so again, IF you find a used 12-ga base model Sizemaster for cheap, esp. if it needs some TLC due to age or missing parts, that could be a cheaper way to get a working 20-ga press

Or, for a more Rolls-Royce shotshell press, look at getting a Ponsness Warren 375C - but make sure it IS the "C" model as this version features the better taper crimp design of die assembly

BUT - whatever press you get, also make sure you get a CASE GAUGE for checking that the sizing is dialled in & the finished shells will chamber

Surprisingly the Ponsness Warren 375C DU-O-MATIC that does 12 and 20 g is less money than the MEC ! But you say it is the better machine. I shall head to youtube and follow your advice and see it in action.

Which case guage do you recommend?

16 minutes ago, Shotkam said:

Which case guage do you recommend?

I'll check what make mine is - but there are several options from makers in the USA for them

I use a lot in different calibers as they are very convenient to use and give the correct size info - or you could drop an undersized loaded cartridge into your chamber and risk it sticking 
They also mean that the ammo you have made will be safe in ANY chamber of that size - handy as I load for more than one 12-ga, etc.

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, Shotkam said:

I have no experience whatsoever of reloading shotgun cartridges, but use a lot of 20 guage Hushpower subsonic cartridges for pest control and I  need a good quality, efficient machine for the job to save on the cost of buying Hushpower cartridges.

I had a MEC 9000GN in mind, but any replies which recommend a good machine would be much appreciated.

the mec 9000 is fantastic. i have one. 

if you shoot alot of shells, it is worth it. but is still alot of money. also your shells must be easily loaded with these rotarys, its hard to access the shells once they are on. so no buffer, no wraps, no other rubbish.

good on you mate. good on you. you can easily churn out 500 an hour on these beasts.

56 minutes ago, saddler said:

Surprisingly the Ponsness Warren 375C DU-O-MATIC that does 12 and 20 g is less money than the MEC ! But you say it is the better machine. I shall head to youtube and follow your advice and see it in action.

21 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

if you shoot alot of shells, it is worth it. but is still alot of money. also your shells must be easily loaded with these rotarys, its hard to access the shells once they are on. so no buffer, no wraps, no other rubbish.

good on you mate. good on you. you can easily churn out 500 an hour on these beasts.

Some good advice coming in ! 

I am more than happy to pay a bit more for a quality machine that is user friendly and is a pleasure to use that turns out perfect reloads every time.

That Ponsness Warrier Patriot look a hell of a machine - not sure if there is a 20 guage though?

Use a MEC today for my 410 but many moons ago I had a PW375 and have to say the quality was a bit better.  If I could have found a PW375 when I started loading the 410s I would have purchased one, but as said above the setting up is far more important than the make of the machine.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Use a MEC today for my 410 but many moons ago I had a PW375 and have to say the quality was a bit better.  If I could have found a PW375 when I started loading the 410s I would have purchased one, but as said above the setting up is far more important than the make of the machine.

3 hours ago, saddler said:

3 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Some good advice coming in ! 

I am more than happy to pay a bit more for a quality machine that is user friendly and is a pleasure to use that turns out perfect reloads every time.

That Ponsness Warrier Patriot look a hell of a machine - not sure if there is a 20 guage though?

So is the Ponsness the Rolls Royce of re-loaders or there better makes.?

8 minutes ago, aberisle said:

I know the reloading elite look down on them  but you could pick up a Leeloadall for under £70 and that will do all  you need, they turn out a pretty good cartridge.

+1 excellent learning machine as you have not loaded before it will give you experience and may save you making a costly mistake, you can then use that experience to decide what to buy next and probably sell the lee load all for nearly what you paid for it. For example you may find the 20gauges cases are not in the bins at the clay grounds like 12ga and some do get damaged on firing so if the savings add up you may decide only to use new cases and that could require a different machine. I use only new cases for 28ga for this reason.

16 minutes ago, aberisle said:

I know the reloading elite look down on them  but you could pick up a Leeloadall for under £70 and that will do all  you need, they turn out a pretty good cartridge.

Wow, they have been around since I was in short trousers !

The main consideration for me is time, which I value, so if the savings are worthwhile I really would like a very fast machine that is a pleasure to use and can reload perhaps 5000 20 gauge a year without being a major ongoing chore.

Guest cookoff013
45 minutes ago, Shotkam said:

Wow, they have been around since I was in short trousers !

The main consideration for me is time, which I value, so if the savings are worthwhile I really would like a very fast machine that is a pleasure to use and can reload perhaps 5000 20 gauge a year without being a major ongoing chore.

The 9000 will probably work out, 5k a year could be done on a single stage. That is a few decent sessions.

Guest cookoff013
14 hours ago, aberisle said:

The reloading elite do not look down on the loadall. Its a brilliant entry reloader. And with a pan ballance, you can reload almost anything.