Just a tip....

Walker570

Some of you may already do this but thought I would put it up.  A friend asked me for a knife recently and asked if I could put the image of an ant on the handle. Having had success with this before with birds and spiders, I said it could be done.  I firstly draw the image I want on the antler handle, then using suitable grinding tips on my Dremel I grind out the image and this has to be fairly deep to ensure the filling stays put and any loss of surface when the area is filed down to reveal the image.  I then mix sufficient J&B Weld and put this in the all the ground out areas making sure to leave it proud of the surface.  Go make a cuppa tea and lounge about for an hour or so and it will set. Take a fine sharp file and gently remove all the J&B which is proud of the surface and the image will appear. A quick finish over with some 320 finer if you want to be really picky.  I then put some furniture wax on and give it a good buffing.  I think the result a success and adds something individual to the piece.

Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

002.jpg