Christmas dinner

Jacko3275

3 hours ago, B725 said:

Reading this there's not much point anyone shooting a goose if a farmed one is the preferred option. 

Well no, what everyone is saying, is that a wild goose is not the best choice for Christmas dinner. 

It could be an old tough goose, or feeding on snails etc, but with a farmed goose, you've got a more consistent product with alot more fat on it 

For a wild goose, we cook them different ways , because we recognise they're slightly different from a farmed one.

5 hours ago, B725 said:

Reading this there's not much point anyone shooting a goose if a farmed one is the preferred option. 

hi Arthur  ,i'm not saying I don't like wild geese infact I prefer wild geese to farmed geese less fat and more flavour,  also cheaper if you get a chance at them ! atb DD 

No one have said yet, that if you are risking a wild goose for your Christmas dinner then what in your opinion would be the best specie ? , we are not brilliant cooks and how you cook it or roast it would make a big difference to the end result , as far as specie go I would say a youngish Pinkfoot that have been feeding on grass or Sugar beet , the ones that are now arriving in good numbers will be on Sugar beet fields as soon as they make a start lifting the crop , we have got a lot of beet in the area and that will be there main diet for the next two or three months , the next would be a young Greylag and I would have to be in a poor ole way if I had to rely on a Canada goose for the festive dinner , one I would certainly give a miss , but like I say , how it is cooked can and do make a vast difference on the end result.