Gauge vs calibre range

billedm2000

I am a British translator and I need your expertise! I am having some trouble understanding the difference between gauge and calibre. I know they are different measurement systems, but unfortunately the French seem to use the same word for both. While I understand the principles, this makes it very hard to recognise whether or not the measurement in question is gauge or calibre.

If only the number is given without "mm", would that typically be referring to gauge? Is calibre normally under a rough value, while gauge is typically above one? Is gauge generally used for a different type of ammunition to calibre? In general, we think gauge tends to be a value over about 12, is this correct?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Gauge.............

12 gauge ............= 12 balls / lb

16 gauge.............= 16balls/lb

28 gauge..............= 28balls/lb

so the gauge is the diameter of the size of the ball that fits the internal dimensions of the barrel...and therefore relates to the weight of the shot load

single projectile weapon (as wimberly says)....is usually measured in mm or imperial (in")

eg: 9mm....or .410" ......or .45"......etc..........410" if you do the calculation could be expressed as a gauge.....

generally a gun that fires a round or a weight of round projectiles is normally expressed as a gauge..........

does that sound right ?

Calibre is mainly used when refereeing to rifled arms such as rifles and pistols .

Bore size is normally used when referring to smooth bore guns as in shotguns .

Gauge are what the Americans and some other non European countries call bore sizes . So therefore gauge and bore are the same thing.

As with all else guns being no exception there are peculiarities and anomaly's particularly in the .410 and 9mm shotgun size description but theses are few .

On 30/11/2020 at 08:47, London Best said:

The Americans seem to think so!  But .410 actually works out as a 67.49 gauge.

based on the "bore" discussion...........what bore is a .410

ie: work out the diameter of a lead ball thats fits the cylinder of the barrell...and however many of those diameter balls weigh in at 1lb=gauge ?

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

based on the "bore" discussion...........what bore is a .410

ie: work out the diameter of a lead ball thats fits the cylinder of the barrell...and however many of those diameter balls weigh in at 1lb=gauge ?

As above post, 67.49 bore, or gauge if you are an American.

39 minutes ago, London Best said:

Do tell, ‘cos I dunno!

FYI

10 bore.............775"

16 bore..............663"

28 bore..............545"

1 bore................1.660"

12 bore...............729"

1 bore diameter ball weighs......1lb

2  "            "          ditto        ......1/2 lb

4 "               "         ditto        .....1/4 lb

there you go:good: