Weather Station

billytheghillie

I do have one.  I have had it some years and not a current model.  It is a 'Clas Ohlson'  WH-1080 like https://manuall.co.uk/clas-ohlson-wh-1080-weather-station/

which is in fact a 'Watson WH-1080' re-badged.

On the plus side, it works quite well, parts seem quite common, and batteries last quite well.

On the minus side, it is quite flimsy, the outdoor parts can get water ingress (I bought a new wind sensor for about £10 when mine failed), the signal range to the indoor bit is fussy - especially through buildings/walls with any foil insulation.  The PC interface that came with it was Windows only (and I use Mac).  There was a 3rd party Mac programme, but not cheap and I didn't buy it.  The rain gauge needs cleaning two or three times a year (algae, lichen, spiders etc get in it).

In my garden, it is hard to find a place (in it's limited range from the display) where it is fully 'open' to all wind directions.  Also - the temperature goes wildly high in the sun. 

WOW!!  Still amazes me what we have here on PW.  Here's me with just a 130yr old 'machine' run by a tube of silver stuff which gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Not belitteling any of your high tech stuff at all, as my friends in Texas had one mounted outside the door of their ranch house which linked with a unit inside and was amazingly accurate.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Still amazes me what we have here on PW.

I'm guessing mine is probably 10 years old - and was an inexpensive 'starter' grade model then .......... but still going strong.  The better ones now are very good - but quite expensive. 

Like everything, the location of the sensors is critical because wind, sun, temperature are all 'local' to exactly where the sensor pack is mounted - affected by buildings, trees, etc. 

For example - mine seldom shows an east wind - as there is the house in the way sheltering it from the east, and large trees in both my garden and next door shelter to some extent from both north and south.  Being mounted on the corner of a garage, it gets heat reflected onto it from the garage roof in summer sunshine.

I only have a basic accurite weather station, temp and humidity indoor and outdoor, barometric pressure with arrows showing steady up or down, time date and moon phase. 

I'd like a wind speed indicator, siting one to get a good reading might be difficult without looking awful sticking out.

Nice to check the weather on it, the screen has indiction lcd picturesof what's to come shows rain sun etc.

Just now, Scully said:

What does a weather station do? Forecast the weather or tell you what the weather is doing right now? 

Both (well sort of);

It tells you;

Outside temperature, outside humidity, inside temp, inside humidity, pressure (last 24 hours graph), rainfall (last 24 hours running total), wind speed, wind direction, and these are all "now" unless stated above and keeps past records if you bother to PC connect it (which I haven't). 

It also shows an 'outlook' - which is a sort of rather crude forecast - and not very good.

Mine was a gift about 10 years ago - and I have quite enjoyed it I have to admit (though hard to pin any real 'use'!)

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Both (well sort of);

It tells you;

Outside temperature, outside humidity, inside temp, inside humidity, pressure (last 24 hours graph), rainfall (last 24 hours running total), wind speed, wind direction, and these are all "now" unless stated above and keeps past records if you bother to PC connect it (which I haven't). 

It also shows an 'outlook' - which is a sort of rather crude forecast - and not very good.

Mine was a gift about 10 years ago - and I have quite enjoyed it I have to admit (though hard to pin any real 'use'!)

Interesting, thanks. 

When I used to erect houses we needed accurate forecasts, not so much to do with rain but with wind speeds, because we worked with cranes, and found that yr.no was about the most accurate forecast we could find. It's a Norwegian site and although it took some time for it to locate some of the more obscure UK postcodes, it was very dependable.  

I just wondered what the difference was between a weather station and a barometer. Cheers. 

One thing I've always believed in is barometric pressure trends. Goes up usually fair weather on the way.

It drops fast were in for rain and usually winds. 

It's not perfect but a good indication.

A fella I shot with works in the marine industry, do work on battleships and aircraft carriers. He had access to ridiculously good weather forecasts.

On a shoot one day, weather looked really poor, he looks on his mobile, says we're fine for next four hours,we should shoot through.  Four hours later it was like a switch had been flipped. We sat in motors for a bit as rain was to much to drive safely.

No idea what service they used, but best I've encountered.