Jump to content

Anybody a NPPC member?


TVPC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Given that I'm having no luck gaining permissions, I'm considering joining the nppc. 

I would never have thought I'd have to pay for pigeon shooting, but I'm really at a loss. 

My face just mustn't fit when I door knock. 

 

Just wanted to know if anyone is a nppc member and what can be expected. 

I'd also have to drive over an hour to get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a member of NPPC for just a year, although many on here have been members over a decade.

I found John Shooter a very fair man, easy to get on with and talk to. Vast experience and knowledge. 

I had my moneys worth in just a couple or three outings, or if you compare it to paying for a game shoot one drive.

You may have to drive an hour or more to his perms but generally he'll not let you set out if no birds are showing. It's not as good as your own recce but at least he'll reccomend an alternative perm if you're not getting anything.

Obviously you can't guarantee pigeons only a fool expects that. Work with him and you'll get on them.

I dropped out this year due to the uncertainty of covid as I don't think we've seen the back of it yet and travelling big distances to shoot I can't justify. Plus my health is not getting any better  and I picked up 240 acres local that John recommended me for and that takes up most of my shooting time. John was good when I explained and said I'd be welcome back anytime.

So, in short, give it a go. Any concerns talk to John. We spoke several times before I joined, he's not money chasing just pigeon chasing 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TVPC said:

Given that I'm having no luck gaining permissions, I'm considering joining the nppc. 

I would never have thought I'd have to pay for pigeon shooting, but I'm really at a loss. 

My face just mustn't fit when I door knock. 

 

Just wanted to know if anyone is a nppc member and what can be expected. 

I'd also have to drive over an hour to get there.

It appears to be your only alternative.

You shouldn’t consider that driving an hour for shooting is exceptional. I never average less than two hundred miles per week just looking. Many weeks it is nearer three hundred.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JDog said:

 

You shouldn’t consider that driving an hour for shooting is exceptional. I never average less than two hundred miles per week just looking. Many weeks it is nearer three hundred.

Week before last I went stalking twice. A 260 miles round trip and a 180 miler.

Never fired a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

It appears to be your only alternative.

You shouldn’t consider that driving an hour for shooting is exceptional. I never average less than two hundred miles per week just looking. Many weeks it is nearer three hundred.

My post wasnt meant as a complaint about the travel. Quite happy with an hour drive to get some shooting. 

My only beef is that I cant get any permissions nearer home. Whereas everyone seems to say you'll hit on eventually and to keep at it (which I am) 

My face must just offend people...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my second year as a member of the nppc and I’m from your general area so this has been my experience. I have mostly confined myself to the most northern permissions which are as you say about a hours drive. As you’ll be aware with wild birds nothing is a given ,but if you are prepared  to accept that you can’t win a coconut every day and your just happy been out where there’s a chance of getting a shot, and let’s face it ,it’s better than sitting at home thinking about it! As said in previous comments, John is a straight forward bloke who offers a good service for the costs involved.

He has on occasions given me the heads up on particular permissions where he knows you’ve been when there has been a call from the land owner, and these have been some of my best days on nppc land. It’s like any club follow the rules treat the permissions as if you had gained them yourself and you will be fine. The best thing to do is give the man a ring you’ll find him approachable and to the point.   Give it a go and good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Paul5tag said:

This is my second year as a member of the nppc and I’m from your general area so this has been my experience. I have mostly confined myself to the most northern permissions which are as you say about a hours drive. As you’ll be aware with wild birds nothing is a given ,but if you are prepared  to accept that you can’t win a coconut every day and your just happy been out where there’s a chance of getting a shot, and let’s face it ,it’s better than sitting at home thinking about it! As said in previous comments, John is a straight forward bloke who offers a good service for the costs involved.

He has on occasions given me the heads up on particular permissions where he knows you’ve been when there has been a call from the land owner, and these have been some of my best days on nppc land. It’s like any club follow the rules treat the permissions as if you had gained them yourself and you will be fine. The best thing to do is give the man a ring you’ll find him approachable and to the point.   Give it a go and good luck!

Totally agree, and the thing is you can always meet up with other members, join forces or swap ideas.

I stuck mainly to most southern from you, Northern to me. John several times phoned asking if I could go short notice. 

On one occasion it saw me leaving the house at about 0200 to be set up over peas for first light, and just as John said they came screaming in till about 0730 then gone. Switched perms, shot some more and home for lunch. (Afternoon in bed knackered).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/04/2021 at 20:17, TVPC said:

My post wasnt meant as a complaint about the travel. Quite happy with an hour drive to get some shooting. 

My only beef is that I cant get any permissions nearer home. Whereas everyone seems to say you'll hit on eventually and to keep at it (which I am) 

My face must just offend people...

Don't be negative and don't give up. Get around your local shoots looking for beating and offer to help out. Once your face gets known you'll soon pick up offers of shooting trips. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...