30 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A good tip mentioned by one of the above members was train it for what you are using for , all my dogs had spent most of their lives wild fowling , pigeon shooting and rough shooting , the basic training at an early age was sit and stay , as time wear on you can use a whistle when you raise your arm for the dog to sit , when you are happy with the sitting and staying progress like when you walk off a short distance, or walking around a large circle and although the dog follow you with his eyes the body stay where you told him to sit .

I start dummy work around the six month old period and when I was working for a living I used to take my pup up the playing field in the dark , I would start off with telling the dog to sit , chuck a dummy , walk him to heel for 40 / 50 yards , tell him to sit again and then send him back in the darkness for the dummy , I found by doing this type of training the dog think for its self without relying on the owner for directions , we have held a few gun dog trials on the estate and you would be surprised how many dogs relied on it's owner for instructions , even when the dead bird is in view the dog still needed help for directions , with wildfowling at night the dog need to think for its self as he won't get much help from his master if he can't see him , this is one of the reasons I trained my young dogs in the dark .

We all have our own ways of training a gun dog and if I am honest none of them would have been nowhere near field trial standard , but everyone I have had turned out excellent retrievers and good honest working dogs .

GOOD LUCK with your first gun dog .

Thanks mate I hope I do him justice he’s been great since we have got him very chilled out not much whining etc 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/05/2021 at 21:12, marsh man said:

A good tip mentioned by one of the above members was train it for what you are using for , all my dogs had spent most of their lives wild fowling , pigeon shooting and rough shooting , the basic training at an early age was sit and stay , as time wear on you can use a whistle when you raise your arm for the dog to sit , when you are happy with the sitting and staying progress like when you walk off a short distance, or walking around a large circle and although the dog follow you with his eyes the body stay where you told him to sit .

I start dummy work around the six month old period and when I was working for a living I used to take my pup up the playing field in the dark , I would start off with telling the dog to sit , chuck a dummy , walk him to heel for 40 / 50 yards , tell him to sit again and then send him back in the darkness for the dummy , I found by doing this type of training the dog think for its self without relying on the owner for directions , we have held a few gun dog trials on the estate and you would be surprised how many dogs relied on it's owner for instructions , even when the dead bird is in view the dog still needed help for directions , with wildfowling at night the dog need to think for its self as he won't get much help from his master if he can't see him , this is one of the reasons I trained my young dogs in the dark .

We all have our own ways of training a gun dog and if I am honest none of them would have been nowhere near field trial standard , but everyone I have had turned out excellent retrievers and good honest working dogs .

GOOD LUCK with your first gun dog .

We are working the opposite to you on fetching birds etc, (Pheasants etc) we send to what we want them to pick up, so direct from standing by hand signal in the direction. This is not every time mind, only if we need to send on a runner for example and we know its gone in cover. We want them to pick the runner rather than pick dead sitters in the field. They will search in cover if umpteen birds are down in an area if we give the command. 

This Sunday we have a day doing long range control, thats going to be a tester for us, our Buster is now starting to realise that if he listens to me he gets reward, well sometimes :lol: when he stops, sits and looks at you from 150 +yards away waiting for some guidance its touching, the team building is getting there. Love it :yahoo: